|Centuries:||11th century - 12th century - 13th century|
|Decades:|| 1140s 1150s 1160s - 1170s - 1180s 1190s 1200s
|Years:||1167 1168 1169 - 1170 - 1171 1172 1173|
|1170 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
|Art and literature|
|1170 in poetry|
|Gregorian calendar|| 1170 |
|Ab urbe condita||1923|
|Armenian calendar|| 619 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-674 – -673|
|Coptic calendar||886 – 887|
|Ethiopian calendar||1162 – 1163|
|Hebrew calendar||4930 – 4931|
|- Vikram Samvat||1225 – 1226|
|- Shaka Samvat||1092 – 1093|
|- Kali Yuga||4271 – 4272|
|Iranian calendar||548 – 549|
|Islamic calendar||565 – 566|
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 1830|
|Thai solar calendar||1713|
- Henry II wishes aloud that Thomas Becket be destroyed.
- December 29 — Assassination of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, in Canterbury cathedral.
- City of Dublin captured by the Normans.
- According to folklore, the Welsh prince Madoc sailes to North America and founds a colony.
- Estimation: Fes in the Almohad Empire becomes the largest city of the world, taking the lead from Constantinople, capital of the Byzantine Empire.
- Danes make an attack against Estonia.
- The palace guards massacres the civil officials at Korean court and place a new king on the throne. The coup leaders scrap the privileges that have kept the aristocrats in power and appoint themselves to top posts.
- Eustace the Monk, French pirate (d. 1217).
- Isabelle of Hainaut, queen of Philip II of France (d. 1190).
- Saint Dominic, founder of the Dominicans (d. 1221).
- Valdemar II of Denmark (d. 1241).
- January 22 — Wang Chongyang, Chinese Daoist and co-founder of the Quanzhen School (born 1113)
- November 18 — Albert I of Brandenburg (b. c. 1100)
- November 28 — Owain Gwynedd, King of Gwynedd (b. c. 1100)
- December 29 — Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury (assassinated) (b. c. 1118)
- Al-Mustanjid, Abbasid Caliph in Baghdad
- Ruben II of Armenia (b. 1160)
- Mstislav II of Kiev
- Eliezer ben Nathan, Jewish poet and writer (b. 1090)
- Eudes, co-ruler of the duchy of Brittany
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1170. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1170 at Familypedia
60 people were born in 1170
29 children were born to the 24 women born in 1170
30 people died in 1170
934 people lived in 1170
Events of the year 1170 at FamilypediaEdit
17 people were married in 1170.
There were 0 military battles in 1170.