1237 1238 1239 - 1240 - 1241 1242 1243
| Decades: |
1210s 1220s 1230s - 1240s - 1250s 1260s 1270s
| Centuries: |
12th century - 13th century - 14th century
|1240 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
|Art and literature|
|1240 in poetry|
|Gregorian calendar|| 1240 |
|Ab urbe condita||1993|
|Armenian calendar|| 689 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-604 – -603|
|Coptic calendar||956 – 957|
|Ethiopian calendar||1232 – 1233|
|Hebrew calendar||5000 – 5001|
|- Vikram Samvat||1295 – 1296|
|- Shaka Samvat||1162 – 1163|
|- Kali Yuga||4341 – 4342|
|Iranian calendar||618 – 619|
|Islamic calendar||637 – 638|
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 1900|
|Thai solar calendar||1783|
- Batu Khan and the Golden Horde sack the Ruthenian city of Kiev.
- Mandinka prince Sundiata Keita defeats Sosso king Soumaoro Kanté at the Battle of Kirina, beginning the Mali Empire.
- July 15 - Russian prince Alexander Nevsky defeats the Swedes in the Battle of the Neva, saving Russia from a full-scale enemy invasion from the North.
- End of the civil war era in Norway.
- Saint Maurice is started to be portrayed as Moor.
- Abulafia, Maltese Jewish philosopher (died 1292)
- Pope Benedict XI (died 1304)
- Stephen V of Hungary (died 1272)
- Sigerus of Brabant, French theologian (died 1284)
- Albert the Degenerate, landgrave of Thuringia (approximate date; died 1314)
- April 11 - Llywelyn the Great, King of Gwynedd
- Ibn Arabi, Andalusian Arab philosopher
- Jacques de Vitry, French historian and theologian (born c. 1180)
- William de Warenne (born 1166)
- Aragon - James I King of Aragon and count of Barcelona (reigned from 1213 to 1276)
- Castile - Ferdinand III, the Saint King of Castile and Leon (reigned from 1217 to 1252)
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1240. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1240 at Familypedia
54 people were born in 1240
29 children were born to the 19 women born in 1240
42 people died in 1240
1026 people lived in 1240
Events of the year 1240 at FamilypediaEdit
30 people were married in 1240.
There were 0 military battles in 1240.