Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1370s 1380s 1390s - 1400s - 1410s 1420s 1430s
|Years:||1400 1401 1402 - 1403 - 1404 1405 1406|
|1403 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1403Edit
- Harry "Hotspur" Percy forms an alliance with Welsh rebel Owain Glyndŵr.
- July 21 - Battle of Shrewsbury - King Henry IV of England defeats a rebel army led by "Hotspur" Percy. Percy is killed in the battle by an arrow in his face.
- Jan Hus begins preaching Wycliffite ideas in Bohemia.
- Ming Emperor Yongle moves the capital of China from Nanjing to Beijing.
- King Martin I of Aragon helps to end the siege by the French of the papal palace in Avignon and Antipope Benedict XIII flees to Aragon.
- King Henry IV of England marries Joanna of Navarre, the daughter of Charles d'Evreux, King of Navarre.
- The Gur-e Amir Mausoleum is built by Timur after the death of his grandson Muhammad-Sultan and eventually becomes the family mausoleum of the Timurid dynasty.
- While the Ottomans are at civil war, the Byzantine Empire reclaim the European coast of the Sea of Marmara and Thessalonica. The emporer's son Andronikos Palaiologos is given the title of Lord of Thessalonike.
- The world's first quarantine station is built. It is built in Venice to quarantine against the Black Death.
- Battle of Modon - the French under Marshal de Boucicaut defeat the Venetians.
- Grand Duke Vytautas ends his alliance with Muscovy and captures Vyazma and Smolensk.
- The Yongle Encyclopedia is commissioned by the Chinese Ming Dynasty emperor Yongle. It was then one of the world's earliest and largest known general encyclopedia.
- Stefan Lazarević establishes Belgrade as the capital of the Serbian Despotate.
- The Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers (better known as the Stationers' Company) is founded in England. It is currently one of the Livery Companies of the City of London.
- Georgia makes peace with Timur but has to recognise him as a suzerain and pay him tribute.
- Ououso becomes King of Nanzan in present-day south Okinawa, Japan.
- Tadgh Ruadh mac Maelsechlainn O Cellaigh succeeds Conchobar an Abaidh mac Maelsechlainn O Cellaigh as King of Hy-Many in present-day County Galway and County Roscommon in Ireland.
- Maolmhordha mac Con Connacht succeeds Giolla Iosa mac Pilib as King of East Breifne, in present-day County Leitrim and County Cavan, Ireland.
- Balša III succeeds his father Đurađ II as ruler of the Principality of Zeta (now the Republic of Montenegro).
- The Temple of a City God is constructed in Shanghai, China.
- Ruy Gonzalez de Clavijo, an ambassador from the king of Castile arrives in Samarkand.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1403 |
|Ab urbe condita||2156|
|Armenian calendar|| 852 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-441 – -440|
|Coptic calendar||1119 – 1120|
|Ethiopian calendar||1395 – 1396|
|Hebrew calendar||5163 – 5164|
|- Vikram Samvat||1458 – 1459|
|- Shaka Samvat||1325 – 1326|
|- Kali Yuga||4504 – 4505|
|Iranian calendar||781 – 782|
|Islamic calendar||805 – 806|
|Japanese calendar|| Ōei
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2063|
|Thai solar calendar||1946|
- February 22 - King Charles VII of France (died 1461)
- June 11 - John IV (d. 1427)
- date unknown - Robert Wingfield, English politician (died 1454)
- January 17 - George Kastrioti of Albania (died 1468)
- May 10 - Katherine Swynford, widow of John of Gaunt
- May 12 - William de Lode, English prior
- July 21
- July 23 - Thomas Percy, English rebel (executed) (born 1343)
- date unknown
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1403. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1403 at Familypedia
20 people were born in 1403
11 children were born to the 9 women born in 1403
12 people died in 1403
779 people lived in 1403
Events of the year 1403 at FamilypediaEdit
14 people were married in 1403.
There were 1 military battles in 1403.
|Battle of Shrewsbury||21 July 1403 JL|