|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1410s 1420s 1430s - 1440s - 1450s 1460s 1470s
|Years:||1441 1442 1443 - 1444 - 1445 1446 1447|
|1444 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1444Edit
- March 2 - The Albanian League is established in Lezha; Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg proclaimed commander of the Albanian resistance
- April 16 - Truce of Tours. Five Year Truce between England and France
- June 15 - Cosimo de' Medici founds the Laurentian Library.
- August - Defeat at the Battle of Jalowaz forces Murad II to abdicate in favor of his son Mehmed II .
- August 26 - Battle of St. Jakob an der Birs in the Old Zürich War. Charles VII of France, seeking to send away troublesome troops made idle by the truce with England, sends his son the Dauphin with a large army into Switzerland to support the claims of Emperor Frederick III. The massively outnumbered Swiss force is destroyed in this battle, but inflict such casualties on the French that they withdraw.
- November 10 - Battle of Varna. The crusading forces of King Ladislas of Poland and Hungary are crushed by the Turks under Sultan Murad II. Ladislas is killed.
- Forces of the Sultan of Egypt fail to take Rhodes from the Knights of Rhodes
- Iguvine Tables discovered at Gubbio, Italy
- Portuguese explorers reach the mouth of the rivers Senegal and Gambia.
- First European slave market for the sale of African slaves, the Mercado de Escravos in Lagos.
- A serious fire occurs at St Paul's Cathedral in London.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1444 |
|Ab urbe condita||2197|
|Armenian calendar|| 893 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-400 – -399|
|Coptic calendar||1160 – 1161|
|Ethiopian calendar||1436 – 1437|
|Hebrew calendar||5204 – 5205|
|- Vikram Samvat||1499 – 1500|
|- Shaka Samvat||1366 – 1367|
|- Kali Yuga||4545 – 4546|
|Iranian calendar||822 – 823|
|Islamic calendar||847 – 848|
|Japanese calendar|| Kakitsu
— changed to —Bunnan 1
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2104|
|Thai solar calendar||1987|
- January 24 - Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan (died 1476)
- March 1 - Sandro Botticelli, Italian painter (died 1510) [Conflicting birth year. See also: 1445]
- March 11 - Donato Bramante, Italian architect (died 1514)
- date unknown
- February 14 - Henriette of Mömpelgard, countess of Mömpelgard and regent of Württemberg (born 1387)
- March 9 - Leonardo Bruni, Italian humanist (born 1374)
- April 26 - Robert Campin, Flemish painter (born 1378)
- May 20 - Saint Bernardino of Siena, Italian Franciscan missionary (b. 1380)
- May 27 - John Beaufort, English military leader (born 1404)
- October 15 - Niccolò Piccinino, Italian mercenary (born 1386)
- November 10 - King Wladislaus III of Poland (killed in battle) (born 1424)
- November 25 - Martin Gouge, French chancellor
1444 in Roman Numerals is MCDXLIV and, excluding the BC years, this year is the first year to use every letter in the Roman numbering system.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1444. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1444 at Familypedia
12 people were born in 1444
10 children were born to the 7 women born in 1444
13 people died in 1444
801 people lived in 1444
Events of the year 1444 at FamilypediaEdit
12 people were married in 1444.
There were 1 military battles in 1444.
|Battle of Varna||10 November 1444 JL|