|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1420s 1430s 1440s - 1450s - 1460s 1470s 1480s
|Years:||1452 1453 1454 - 1455 - 1456 1457 1458|
|1455 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1455Edit
- January 8 - Pope Nicholas V publishes Romanus Pontifex, an encyclical addressed to King Afonso V of Portugal, which sanctions the conquest of non-Christian lands, and the reduction of native non-Christian populations to 'perpetual slavery'.
- February 23 - The Gutenberg Bible is the first book printed with movable type.
- April 8 - Pope Calixtus III succeeds Pope Nicholas V as the 209th pope.
- The Wars of the Roses begin.
- May 18 - Battle of Arkinholm in Scotland.
- May 22 - First Battle of St Albans: Richard, defeats and captures King Henry VI of England.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1455 |
|Ab urbe condita||2208|
|Armenian calendar|| 904 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-389 – -388|
|Coptic calendar||1171 – 1172|
|Ethiopian calendar||1447 – 1448|
|Hebrew calendar||5215 – 5216|
|- Vikram Samvat||1510 – 1511|
|- Shaka Samvat||1377 – 1378|
|- Kali Yuga||4556 – 4557|
|Iranian calendar||833 – 834|
|Islamic calendar||859 – 860|
|Japanese calendar|| Kyōtoku
— changed to —Kōshō 1
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2115|
|Thai solar calendar||1998|
- February 2 - King John of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden (died 1513)
- March 3 - King John II of Portugal (died 1495)
- March 15 - Pietro Accolti, Italian Catholic cardinal (died 1532)
- August 2 - John Cicero (died 1499)
- Peter Vischer the Elder, German sculptor (died 1529) (approximate date)
- February 18 - Fra Angelico, Italian painter (born 1395)
- March 24 - Pope Nicholas V (born 1397)
- April 1 - Zbigniew Cardinal Oleśnicki, Polish bishop and statesman (born 1389)
- May 18 - Archibald Douglas (killed in battle)
- May 22 - Henry Percy, English politician (killed in battle)
- May 22 - Edmund Beaufort, English commander (killed in battle) (born 1406)
- May 22 - Humphrey Stafford (in battle)
- September 3 - Alonso Tostado, Spanish Catholic bishop
- October 22 - Johannes Brassart, Flemish composer
- December 1 - Lorenzo Ghiberti, Italian sculptor and metal smith (born 1378)
- December 2 - Isabel of Coimbra, queen of Portugal (born 1432)
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1455. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1455 at Familypedia
20 people were born in 1455
11 children were born to the 6 women born in 1455
18 people died in 1455
830 people lived in 1455
Events of the year 1455 at FamilypediaEdit
21 people were married in 1455.
There were 1 military battles in 1455.
|First Battle of St Albans||22 May 1455|