Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1420s 1430s 1440s - 1450s - 1460s 1470s 1480s
|Years:||1453 1454 1455 - 1456 - 1457 1458 1459|
|1456 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1456Edit
- July 7 - A retrial acquits Joan of Arc of heresy 25 years after her death.
- July 21 - July 22. Battle of Nándorfehérvár (Belgrade). The Hungarians under John Hunyadi rout the Turkish army of Sultan Mehmed II. The noon bell ordered by Pope Callixtus III commemorates the victory throughout the Christian world. (Hence the noon bell is still rung to this day.)
- August 20 - Vladislav II, reigning Prince of Wallachia is killed in battle by Vlad III Dracula who succeeds him.
- Lazar Branković becomes king of Serbia.
- The university of Greifswald, later Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald is established, making it the second oldest university in northern Europe (also for a period the oldest in Sweden, and Prussia)
- Luigi de Cadamosto discovers the Cape Verde islands.
- Emperor Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia founds the city of Debre Berhan
- Muscovy and Novgorod Republic conclude the Treaty of Yazhelbitsy.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1456 |
|Ab urbe condita||2209|
|Armenian calendar|| 905 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-388 – -387|
|Coptic calendar||1172 – 1173|
|Ethiopian calendar||1448 – 1449|
|Hebrew calendar||5216 – 5217|
|- Vikram Samvat||1511 – 1512|
|- Shaka Samvat||1378 – 1379|
|- Kali Yuga||4557 – 4558|
|Iranian calendar||834 – 835|
|Islamic calendar||860 – 861|
|Japanese calendar|| Kōshō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2116|
|Thai solar calendar||1999|
- March - Jan Łaski, Polish nobleman (died 1531)
- March 1 - King Ladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary (died 1516)
- June 11 - Anne Neville, queen of Richard III of England (died 1485)
- June 23 - Margaret of Denmark, queen of James III of Scotland (died 1486)
- date unknown - Jan Lubrański, Polish bishop (died 1520)
- May 24 - Ambroise de Loré, French military leader (b. 1396)
- August 11 - John Hunyadi, Transylvanian statesman and general (born 1387)
- October 17 - Nicolas Grenon, French composer
- October 23 - Giovanni da Capistrano, Italian saint (born 1386)
- November 1 - Edmund Tudor, father of King Henry VII of England
- November 9 - Ulrich II of Celje (born 1406)
- November 25 - Jacques Cœur, French merchant
- December 4 - Charles I (born 1401)
- date unknown
- Juan de Mena, Spanish poet (born 1411)
1456 Year EquivalentsEdit
- Hindu Calendar, (March 14, 1399 - March 13, 1400) 1
- Hindu Calendar, (March 21/22, 1529 - March 20/21, 1530)2
- Islamic calendar,
- Hebrew calendar,
- 1:Calculated from AD 78, beginning of the Saka era.
- 2:Calculated from 58 BC, beginning of the Vikrama era.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1456. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1456 at Familypedia
14 people were born in 1456
9 children were born to the 7 women born in 1456
13 people died in 1456
829 people lived in 1456
Events of the year 1456 at FamilypediaEdit
5 people were married in 1456.
There were 0 military battles in 1456.