|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1450s 1460s 1470s - 1480s - 1490s 1500s 1510s
|Years:||1485 1486 1487 - 1488 - 1489 1490 1491|
|1488 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1488 Edit
- January 8 - The present Royal Netherlands Navy was formed by decree of Maximillian of Austria.
- February 3 - Bartolomeu Dias of Portugal lands in Mossel Bay after rounding the Cape of Good Hope, at the tip of Africa becoming the first known European to travel this far south.
- June 11 - James IV succeeds his father James III as King of Scotland.
- July 28 Battle of Saint-Aubin-du-Cormier. Troops loyal to King Charles VIII of France defeat rebel forces led by the Dukes of Orleans and Brittany in the main engagement of the Mad War.
- September 9 - Anne of Brittany becomes Duchess of Brittany at the age of 11. Her marriage to King Charles VIII in 1491 effectively ends Breton independence from France.
- Jasper Tudor takes possession of Cardiff Castle.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti becomes apprentice to Domenico Ghirlandaio.
- City of Bikaner in western India founded by Rao Bika.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1488 |
|Ab urbe condita||2241|
|Armenian calendar|| 937 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-356 – -355|
|Coptic calendar||1204 – 1205|
|Ethiopian calendar||1480 – 1481|
|Hebrew calendar||5248 – 5249|
|- Vikram Samvat||1543 – 1544|
|- Shaka Samvat||1410 – 1411|
|- Kali Yuga||4589 – 4590|
|Iranian calendar||866 – 867|
|Islamic calendar||893 – 894|
|Japanese calendar|| Chōkyō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2148|
|Thai solar calendar||2031|
- January 6 - Helius Eobanus Hessus, German Latin poet (died 1540)
- March 19 - Johannes Magnus, last Catholic Archbishop of Sweden (died 1544)
- April 21 - Ulrich von Hutten, German religious reformer (died 1523)
- June - Heinrich Glarean, Swiss music theorist (died 1563)
- August - Antonio da Correggio, Italian painter (died 1534)
- date unknown
- Rabbi Yosef Karo, Jewish scholar (died 1575)
- Sebastian Münster, German scholar, cartographer, and cosmographer (died 1552)
- Oswald Myconius, Swiss religious reformer (died 1552)
- Jan Tarnowski, Polish nobleman (died 1561)
- Thomas of Villanova, Spanish bishop (died 1555)
- Gustav Trolle, Archbishop of Uppsala (died 1533)
- April 14 - Girolamo Riario, Lord of Imola and Forli (born 1443)
- June 11 - King James III of Scotland (born c1451)
- July 18 - Alvise Cadamosto, Italian explorer (born 1432)
- September 9 - Francis II (fell from a horse) (born 1433)
- September 13 - Charles II (born 1434)
- October 10 - Andrea del Verrocchio, Italian sculptor (born c1435)
- date unknown
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1488. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1488 at Familypedia
14 people were born in 1488
14 children were born to the 5 women born in 1488
17 people died in 1488
787 people lived in 1488
Events of the year 1488 at FamilypediaEdit
19 people were married in 1488.
There were 1 military battles in 1488.
|Battle of Sauchieburn||11 June 1488 JL|