|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1460s 1470s 1480s - 1490s - 1500s 1510s 1520s
|Years:||1491 1492 1493 - 1494 - 1495 1496 1497|
|1494 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
- January 25 - Alfonso II becomes King of Naples.
- May 3 - Christopher Columbus first spots Jamaica.
- May 31 - Natives of the island of Tenerife, known as Guanches, defeat invading Spanish forces at the First Battle of Acentejo.
- June 7 - Spain and Portugal sign the Treaty of Tordesillas which divides the New World between the two countries.
- October 22 - Ludovico Sforza becomes Duke of Milan, and starts a chain of events that leads to the First Italian War.
- The University of Aberdeen is founded by the bishop of Aberdeen.
- Amda Seyon II succeeds his father Eskender as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- Oktoih, the first book produced in Serbian language in Cetinje.
- Na'od succeeds his nephew Amda Seyon II as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- Aztec forces conquer and sack Mitla.
- Invasion of Italy by Charles VIII of France.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1494 |
|Ab urbe condita||2247|
|Armenian calendar|| 943 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-350 – -349|
|Coptic calendar||1210 – 1211|
|Ethiopian calendar||1486 – 1487|
|Hebrew calendar||5254 – 5255|
|- Vikram Samvat||1549 – 1550|
|- Shaka Samvat||1416 – 1417|
|- Kali Yuga||4595 – 4596|
|Iranian calendar||872 – 873|
|Islamic calendar||899 – 900|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2154|
|Thai solar calendar||2037|
- February 2 - Bona Sforza, queen of Sigismund I of Poland (died 1557)
- April 9 Francois Rabelais, French Renaissance writer (died 1553)
- April 20 - Johannes Agricola, German Protestant reformer (died 1566)
- May 24 - Pontormo, Italian painter (d. 1557)
- September 5 - Hans Sachs, German Meistersinger (died 1576)
- September 12 - King Francis I of France (died 1547)
- November 6 - Suleiman the Magnificent, Ottoman Sultan (died 1566)
- date unknown
- Saitō Dōsan, Japanese warlord (died 1556)
- John Sutton (died 1554)
- Juan Ginés de Sepúlveda, Spanish philosopher and theologian (died 1573)
- Ambrosius Holbein, German painter (died 1519)
- Alonso Álvarez de Pineda, Spanish explorer and cartographer (died 1519)
- Hans Tausen, Danish religious reformer (died 1561)
- Qiu Ying, Chinese painter (died 1552)
- William Tyndale, Reformer and Martyr
- January 11 - Domenico Ghirlandaio, Italian artist (born 1449)
- January 25 - King Ferdinand I of Naples (born 1423)
- August 1 - Giovanni Santi, artist and father of Raphael (born c. 1435)
- August 11 - Hans Memling, Flemish painter (born c1430)
- September 24 - Poliziano, Italian humanist (born 1454)
- October 26 - Amda Seyon II, Emperor of Ethiopia (born c1487)
- November 8 - Melozzo da Forlì, painter (born c. 1438)
- November 17 - Giovanni Pico della Mirandola, Italian humanist (born 1463)
- December 20 - Matteo Maria Boiardo, Italian poet (born c1434)
- date unknown
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1494. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1494 at Familypedia
15 people were born in 1494
13 children were born to the 8 women born in 1494
12 people died in 1494
816 people lived in 1494
Events of the year 1494 at FamilypediaEdit
13 people were married in 1494.
There were 0 military battles in 1494.