|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1460s 1470s 1480s - 1490s - 1500s 1510s 1520s
|Years:||1494 1495 1496 - 1497 - 1498 1499 1500|
|1497 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1497 Edit
- February 7 - followers of Girolamo Savonarola burn thousands of "immoral" objects at the Bonfire of the Vanities in Florence on Shrove Tuesday.
- May 10 - Amerigo Vespucci allegedly leaves Cádiz for his first voyage to the New World.
- May 13 - Pope Alexander VI excommunicates Girolamo Savonarola.
- May 20 - John Cabot sets sail from Bristol on his ship the Mathew looking for a route to the west (other documents give a May 2 date).
- June 17 - Battle of Deptford Bridge - Forces under King Henry VII soundly defeat troops led by Michael An Gof.
- June 24 - John Cabot lands in North America, To what is today known as Bonavista, Newfoundland.
- July 8 - Vasco da Gama's fleet depart from Lisbon beginning his expedition to India.
- December 5 - King Manuel I of Portugal proclaims an edict in which he demands that Jews convert to Christianity or leave the country.
- Ivan the Great issues his law code, the Sudebnik.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1497 |
|Ab urbe condita||2250|
|Armenian calendar|| 946 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-347 – -346|
|Coptic calendar||1213 – 1214|
|Ethiopian calendar||1489 – 1490|
|Hebrew calendar||5257 – 5258|
|- Vikram Samvat||1552 – 1553|
|- Shaka Samvat||1419 – 1420|
|- Kali Yuga||4598 – 4599|
|Iranian calendar||875 – 876|
|Islamic calendar||902 – 903|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2157|
|Thai solar calendar||2040|
- January 26 - Emperor Go-Nara of Japan (died 1557)
- February 16 - Philipp Melanchthon, German humanist and reformer (died 1560)
- August 18 - Francesco Canova da Milano, Italian composer (died 1543)
- date unknown
- January 2 - Beatrice d'Este, Duchess of Milan (born 1475)
- January 30 - Lê Thánh Tông, King of Vietnam (born 1442)
- February 6 - Johannes Ockeghem, Flemish composer (born c1410)
- June 14 - Giovanni Borgia, Duke of Gandia (assassinated) (born 1474)
- June 24 - Thomas Flamank, Cornish lawyer (executed) (born unknown)
- July - Estêvão da Gama, explorer
- November 7 - Philip II (born 1443)
- date unknown
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1497. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1497 at Familypedia
14 people were born in 1497
8 children were born to the 7 women born in 1497
9 people died in 1497
775 people lived in 1497
Events of the year 1497 at FamilypediaEdit
12 people were married in 1497.
There were 0 military battles in 1497.