|Centuries:||14th century - 15th century - 16th century|
|Decades:|| 1460s 1470s 1480s - 1490s - 1500s 1510s 1520s
|Years:||1495 1496 1497 - 1498 - 1499 1500 1501|
|1498 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1498Edit
- Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama visits Quelimane and Moçambique in southeastern Africa.
- May 20 - The Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama arrives at Calicut (now Kozhikode), India, becoming the first European to get there by sailing around Africa, thus discovering the maritime route to India. He finds a local Jewish merchant who is able to interpret for him.
- May 23 - Girolamo Savonarola, ruler of Florence, is executed for criticizing the Pope.
- July 31 - On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- August 5 - Bartholomew Columbus, brother of Christopher Columbus, founds the city of Santo Domingo, now part of the Dominican Republic, making it the oldest European City and permanent settlement in the New World.
- Christopher Columbus lands on the South American continent.
- The Portuguese sail up to the coasts of modern Tanzania and Kenya.
- John Cabot leaves port on an expedition, never to be seen again.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1498 |
|Ab urbe condita||2251|
|Armenian calendar|| 947 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-346 – -345|
|Coptic calendar||1214 – 1215|
|Ethiopian calendar||1490 – 1491|
|Hebrew calendar||5258 – 5259|
|- Vikram Samvat||1553 – 1554|
|- Shaka Samvat||1420 – 1421|
|- Kali Yuga||4599 – 4600|
|Iranian calendar||876 – 877|
|Islamic calendar||903 – 904|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2158|
|Thai solar calendar||2041|
- April 9 - John, French churchman (died 1550)
- November 15 - Eleonore of Austria, Queen of Portugal and France (died 1558)
- December 19 - Andreas Osiander, German Protestant theologian (died 1552)
- date unknown
- Giulio Clovio, (Juraj Julije Klovic) Dalmatian miniaturist and illustrator (died 1578)
- Marten Jacobszoon Heemskerk van Veen, Dutch painter (died 1574)
- Anna of Masovia, Polish princess (died 1557)
- Meera, Rajput princess (died 1547)
- Sagara Taketo, Japanese retainer (died 1551)
- Andrés de Urdaneta, Spanish Friar (died 1568)
- Pier Paolo Vergerio, Italian religious reformer (died 1565)
- Felix Manz, leader of the Swiss Anabaptist (died 1527)
- King Richard IV - Fictional King of England played by Brian Blessed (B. 1937)
- February 4 - Antonio Pollaiuolo, Italian painter (born c1432)
- March 24 - Edward Stafford (born 1470)
- April 28 - Henry Percy, English politician (killed in battle) (born c1449)
- April 7 - King Charles VIII of France (born 1470)
- May 23 - Girolamo Savonarola, Italian religious reformer and ruler of Florence (born 1452)
- December 7 - Alexander Hegius von Heek, German humanist (born c1443)
- date unknown
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1498. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1498 at Familypedia
15 people were born in 1498
5 children were born to the 5 women born in 1498
15 people died in 1498
805 people lived in 1498
Events of the year 1498 at FamilypediaEdit
10 people were married in 1498.
There were 0 military battles in 1498.