|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1480s 1490s 1500s - 1510s - 1520s 1530s 1540s
|Years:||1513 1514 1515 - 1516 - 1517 1518 1519|
|1516 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1516 Edit
January - June Edit
- March - With the death of Ferdinand II of Aragon, his grandson Charles of Ghent becomes King of Spain as Carlos I.
- April 23 - The Reinheitsgebot is instituted in Ingolstadt, Bavaria regulating the purity of beer permissible for sale.
July - December Edit
- July - Selim I of the Ottoman Empire declares war on the Mameluks and invades Syria.
- August 13 - The Treaty of Noyon is signed. Francis recognizes Charles's claim to Naples, and Charles recognizes Francis's claim to Milan.
- October 28 - Battle of Yaunis Khan. Turkish forces under the Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha defeat the Mameluks near Gaza.
- December 4 - Treaty of Brussels - Peace between France and the Empire.
- Pedro de Solis discovers the Río de la Plata.
- King Francis I of France and Pope Leo X sign the Concordat of Bologna.
- Desiderius Erasmus publishes a new Greek translation of the New Testament.
- Thomas More publishes Utopia.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1516 |
|Ab urbe condita||2269|
|Armenian calendar|| 965 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-328 – -327|
|Coptic calendar||1232 – 1233|
|Ethiopian calendar||1508 – 1509|
|Hebrew calendar||5276 – 5277|
|- Vikram Samvat||1571 – 1572|
|- Shaka Samvat||1438 – 1439|
|- Kali Yuga||4617 – 4618|
|Iranian calendar||894 – 895|
|Islamic calendar||921 – 922|
|Japanese calendar|| Eishō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2176|
|Thai solar calendar||2059|
- January 1 - Margareta Leijonhufvud, queen of Gustav I of Sweden (died 1551)
- February 18 - Queen Mary I of England (died 1558)
- March 26 - Conrad Gessner, Swiss naturalist (died 1565)
- April 23 - Georg Fabricius, Protestant German poet (died 1571)
- September 21 - Matthew Stewart (died 1571)
- date unknown
- See also 1516 births.
- January 20 - Juan Díaz de Solís, Spanish navigator and explorer (born 1470)
- March 13 - King Ladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary (born 1456)
- March 17 - Giuliano di Lorenzo de' Medici, ruler of Florence (born 1478)
- April 25 - John Yonge, English diplomat (born 1467)
- June 14 - King John III of Navarre (born 1469)
- June 23 - King Ferdinand II of Aragon (born 1452)
- August - Hieronymus Bosch, Dutch painter (born 1450)
- December 13 - Johannes Trithemius, German scholar and cryptographer (born 1462)
- date unknown
- See also 1516 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1516. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1516 at Familypedia
15 people were born in 1516
7 children were born to the 6 women born in 1516
13 people died in 1516
862 people lived in 1516
Events of the year 1516 at FamilypediaEdit
12 people were married in 1516.
There were 0 military battles in 1516.