Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1490s 1500s 1510s - 1520s - 1530s 1540s 1550s
|Years:||1518 1519 1520 - 1521 - 1522 1523 1524|
|1521 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1521 Edit
January - June Edit
- January 3 - Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther in the papal bull Decet Romanum Pontificem.
- January 22 - Emperor Charles V opens the Diet of Worms.
- January 28 - Diet of Worms begins, lasting until May 25.
- March 6 - Ferdinand Magellan discovers Guam.
- March 16 - Ferdinand Magellan reaches the Philippines.
- April 7 - Ferdinand Magellan arrives at Cebu.
- April 16 - 18 - Martin Luther is examined before Emperor Charles V and the German Diet of Worms.
- April 26 - Martin Luther leaves Worms and disappears for a year - he is rumored to be murdered but really is in hiding.
- April 27 - Magellan killed in the Philippines.
- May - Outbreak of war between Emperor Charles and the King of France.
- May 17 - Edward Stafford, is executed for treason.
- May 20 - Battle of Pampeluna.
- May 25 - The Diet of Worms ends when Charles V issues the Edict of Worms, declaring Martin Luther an outlaw.
- June 29 or June 30 - the first document fully written in Romanian: the letter of Neacşu, a trader from Câmpulung, to Johannes Benkner, the mayor of Braşov, warning that the Ottoman Empire was preparing its troops to cross into Wallachia and Transylvania; the script used was Romanian Cyrillic.
- June 30 - Battle of Esquiroz: French forces under Henri d'Albret, exiled King of Navarre, are defeated by the Spanish and forced to abandon their attempt to recover Henri's kingdom.
July - December Edit
- August 8 - Hernán Cortés and allied local Indians defeat Aztec forces of Cuauhtémoc, the last Aztec Emperor, in the Battle of Tenochtitlan.
- August 13 - Emperor Cuauhtémoc surrenders to Hernán Cortés.
- August 23 - Christian II of Denmark is deposed as king of Sweden and Gustav Vasa is elected regent.
- August 29 - Capture of Belgrade by the Ottoman army of Suleiman I.
- November 23 - Spanish-German-Papal forces under Prosper Colonna force French Marshal Odet de Lautrec to abandon Milan.
- Berengairo da Garbi notices the appendix.
- Neacşu's Letter, the oldest surviving Romanian document, was written.
- San Juan Bautista is founded in the Puerto Rican archipelago.
- Capture of Rjasan through Moscow
|Gregorian calendar|| 1521 |
|Ab urbe condita||2274|
|Armenian calendar|| 970 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-323 – -322|
|Coptic calendar||1237 – 1238|
|Ethiopian calendar||1513 – 1514|
|Hebrew calendar||5281 – 5282|
|- Vikram Samvat||1576 – 1577|
|- Shaka Samvat||1443 – 1444|
|- Kali Yuga||4622 – 4623|
|Iranian calendar||899 – 900|
|Islamic calendar||927 – 928|
|Japanese calendar|| Eishō
— changed to —Daiei 1
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2181|
|Thai solar calendar||2064|
- March 21 - Maurice (d. 1553)
- May 8 - Petrus Canisius, Dutch Jesuit (d. 1597)
- August 4 - Pope Urban VII (d. 1590)
- October 9 - Ottavio Farnese (d. 1586)
- December 1 - Takeda Shingen, Japanese warlord (d. 1573)
- December 13 - Pope Sixtus V (d. 1590)
- date unknown
- See also 1521 births.
- April 20 - Zhengde Emperor of China (b. 1491)
- April 27 - Ferdinand Magellan, Portuguese explorer (born c1480)
- May 10 - Sebastian Brant, German humanist and satirist (b. 1457)
- May 17 - Edward Stafford (executed) (born 1478)
- June 15 - Tamás Bakócz, Hungarian Catholic cardinal and statesman (b. 1442)
- June 21 - Leonardo Loredan, Doge of Venice (b. 1436)
- July - Juan Ponce de León, Spanish conquistador (b. 1460)
- August 27 - Josquin Des Prez, Flemish composer (born c1450)
- December 1 - Pope Leo X (born 1475)
- December 13 - King Manuel I of Portugal (b. 1469)
- date unknown
- See also 1521 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1521. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1521 at Familypedia
19 people were born in 1521
12 children were born to the 7 women born in 1521
20 people died in 1521
832 people lived in 1521
Events of the year 1521 at FamilypediaEdit
11 people were married in 1521.
There were 0 military battles in 1521.