|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1490s 1500s 1510s - 1520s - 1530s 1540s 1550s
|Years:||1519 1520 1521 - 1522 - 1523 1524 1525|
|1522 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1522 Edit
January - June Edit
- January 9 - Pope Adrian VI (born Adrian Dedens and sometimes referred to as Hadrian) succeeds Pope Leo X as the 218th pope.
- April 27 - Battle of Bicocca - French and Swiss forces under Odet de Lautrec are defeated by the Spanish in their attempt to retake Milan, and are forced to withdraw into Venetian territory.
July - December Edit
- July 28 - Beginning of Ottoman Sultan Suleiman I's siege of the Knights of St. John in Rhodes.
- September 6 - The Vittoria, one of the surviving ships of Ferdinand Magellan's expedition, returns to Sanlucar de Barrameda in Spain, becoming the first ship to circumnavigate the world.
- December 18 - The Turks finally break into Rhodes, but the Knights continue fierce resistance in the streets.
- December 20 - Suleiman the Magnificent accepts the surrender of the surviving Knights, who are allowed to evacuate. They eventually re-settle on Malta and become known as the Knights of Malta.
- First Diet of Nuremberg.
- The third edition of the Textus Receptus of the Bible published.
- Knight's Revolt in Germany.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1522 |
|Ab urbe condita||2275|
|Armenian calendar|| 971 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-322 – -321|
|Coptic calendar||1238 – 1239|
|Ethiopian calendar||1514 – 1515|
|Hebrew calendar||5282 – 5283|
|- Vikram Samvat||1577 – 1578|
|- Shaka Samvat||1444 – 1445|
|- Kali Yuga||4623 – 4624|
|Iranian calendar||900 – 901|
|Islamic calendar||928 – 929|
|Japanese calendar|| Daiei
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2182|
|Thai solar calendar||2065|
- February 2 - Lodovico Ferrari, Italian mathematician (died 1565)
- March 28 - Albert the Warlike, German prince (died 1557)
- April 23 - Catherine of Ricci, Italian prioress (died 1590)
- May 24 - John Jewel, English bishop (died 1571)
- July 25 - Anna of Lorraine (died 1568)
- September 11 - Ulissi Aldrovandi, Italian naturalist (died 1605)
- November 9 - Martin Chemnitz, Lutheran reformer (died 1586)
- November 18 - Lamoral, Flemish general and statesman (died 1568)
- December 28 - Margaret of Austria, regent of the Netherlands (d. 1568)
- date unknown
- Rabbi Moses ben Jacob Cordovero [RaMaK]- Jewish kabbalist from Safed, Israel [d. 1570)
- See also 1522 births.
- February 25 - William Lilye, English classical scholar (born c1468)
- April - Queen Eleni of Ethiopia
- June 25 - Franchinus Gaffurius, Italian composer (born 1451)
- June 30 - Johann Reuchlin, German humanist and Hebrew scholar (born 1455)
- September - Gavin Douglas, Scottish poet and bishop (born c1474)
- October 30 - Jean Mouton, French composer (born c1459)
- November 14 - Anne of France, Princess and Regent of France (b. 1461)
- date unknown
- See also 1522 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1522. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1522 at Familypedia
14 people were born in 1522
14 children were born to the 9 women born in 1522
13 people died in 1522
883 people lived in 1522
Events of the year 1522 at FamilypediaEdit
12 people were married in 1522.
There were 0 military battles in 1522.