1555 1556 1557 - 1558 - 1559 1560 1561
| Decades: |
1520s 1530s 1540s - 1550s - 1560s 1570s 1580s
| Centuries: |
15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- January 7 - French troops led by Francis take Calais, the last continental possession of the Kingdom of England
- July 13 - Battle of Gravelines: In France, Spanish forces led by Count Lamoral of Egmont defeat the French forces of Marshal Paul des Thermes at Gravelines.
- July 18 - City of Tartu, capital of the Bishopric of Dorpat, now in Estonia, surrenders to Russia.
- April 24 - Mary I of Scotland marries Francis II of France
- November 17 - Elizabethan era begins: Queen Mary I of England dies and is succeeded by her half-sister Elizabeth.
- Tobacco comes to France
- Foundation of the University of Jena in Thuringia, Germany
- September 9 - Philippe Emmanuel, French soldier (d. 1602)
- October 12 - Archduke Maximilian III of Austria (d. 1618)
- November 3 - Thomas Kyd, author of The Spanish Tragedy (d. 1594)
- date unknown
- François (d. 1614)
- Hendrik Goltzius, Dutch painter (d. 1617)
- Robert Greene, English writer (d. 1592)
- Meir Lublin, Polish rabbi (d. 1616)
- Koriki Masanaga, Japanese military commander (d. 1599)
- Pierre Dugua, French merchant (d. 1628)
- Bessho Nagaharu, Japanese nobleman (died 1580)
- Oda Nobutaka, Japanese nobleman (died 1583)
- Olivier van Noort, first Dutchman to circumnavigate the world (d. 1627)
- Chidiock Tichborne, English conspirator and poet (d. 1586)
- Tokuhime, Japanese noblewoman
- Mihai Viteazul, Prince of Wallachia (1593-1601)
See also 1558 births.
- February 25 - Eleonore of Austria, Queen of Portugal and France (b. 1498)
- March 24 - Anna of Egmond, Countess of Egmond and Buren (born c1533)
- March 25 - Marcos de Niza, French Franciscan explorer (born c1495)
- April 18 - Roxelana, wife of Suleiman the Magnificent (born c1500)
- April 20 - Johannes Bugenhagen, German reformer (b, 1485)
- May 31 - Philip Hoby, English politician (b. 1505)
- October - Mellin de Saint-Gelais, French poet (b. ca. 1491)
- October 18 - Maria of Austria, queen of Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia (b. 1505)
- October 21 - J.C. Scaliger, Italian scholar (b. 1484)
- November 17 - Queen Mary I of England (b. 1516)
- November 17 - Reginald Cardinal Pole, Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1500)
- December 15 - Thomas Cheney, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports (born c1485)
- December 28 - Hermann Finck, German composer (b. 1527)
- date unknown
See also 1558 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1558. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1558 at Familypedia
16 people were born in 1558
8 children were born to the 4 women born in 1558
40 people died in 1558
1006 people lived in 1558
Events of the year 1558 at FamilypediaEdit
22 people were married in 1558.
There were 0 military battles in 1558.