|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1550s 1560s 1570s - 1580s - 1590s 1600s 1610s
|Years:||1577 1578 1579 - 1580 - 1581 1582 1583|
|1580 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1580Edit
- March 1 - Michel de Montaigne signs the preface to his most significant work, Essays. They are published later the same year.
- June 11 - Juan de Garay founds Buenos Aires.
- June 25 - The Book of Concord, a collection of Lutheran confessional documents, is published.
- July 12 - The Ostrog Bible, the first complete printed Bible in a Slavic language, is published.
- August 25 - In the Battle of Alcântara, Spain, led by Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, defeats Portugal.
- September 26 - Sir Francis Drake circumnavigates the globe.
- 1580-1764: First session of Jewish Waad (Sejm of 4 countries) in Lublin, Poland. 70 delegates of Jewish local kahals met to discuss taxations and other issues important to Jewish communities.
- Portugal loses independence to Spain following the death without heirs of king Henry of Portugal. The Habsburg rule would last until 1640.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1580 |
|Ab urbe condita||2333|
|Armenian calendar|| 1029 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-264 – -263|
|Coptic calendar||1296 – 1297|
|Ethiopian calendar||1572 – 1573|
|Hebrew calendar||5340 – 5341|
|- Vikram Samvat||1635 – 1636|
|- Shaka Samvat||1502 – 1503|
|- Kali Yuga||4681 – 4682|
|Iranian calendar||958 – 959|
|Islamic calendar||987 – 988|
|Japanese calendar|| Tenshō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2240|
|Thai solar calendar||2123|
- February - John Digby, English diplomat (died 1653)
- April 15 - George Calvert, English politician and colonizer (died 1623)
- April 18 - (baptism) Thomas Middleton, English playwright (died 1627)
- April 24 - Vincent de Paul, French priest and saint (died 1660)
- June 6 - Godefroy Wendelin, Belgian astronomer (died 1667)
- June 9 - Daniel Heinsius, Dutch scholar (died 1655)
- August 24 - John Taylor, English poet (died 1654)
- September 15 - Charles Annibal Fabrot, French lawyer (died 1659)
- September 17 - Francisco de Quevedo, Spanish writer (died 1645)
- December 1 - Nicolas-Claude Fabri de Peiresc, French astronomer (died 1637)
- December 4 - Samuel Argall, English adventurer and naval officer (died 1626)
- date unknown
- Philip Cluwer, German geographer and historian (died 1623)
- Dirk Hartog, Dutch ship's captain and explorer (died 1621)
- John Smith of Jamestown, Virginia settler (died 1631)
- Robert Killigrew, knight of Arwenack in Falmouth (died 1633)
- Willebrord Snellius, Dutch astronomer and mathematician (died 1626)
- Raphael Sobiehrd-Mnishovsky, Bohemian lawyer and writer (died 1644)
- Pierre Vernier, French mathematician and instrument inventor (died 1637)
- Krzysztof Zbaraski, Polish nobleman (died 1627)
- See also 1580 births.
- January 18 - Antonio Scandello, Italian composer (born 1517)
- January 31 - King Henry of Portugal (born 1512)
- February 2 - Bessho Nagaharu, Japanese retainer (b. 1558)
- February 28 - Krystyna Radziwiłł, Polish noblewoman (born 1560)
- June 10 - Luís de Camões, Portuguese poet (born c1524)
- July 9 - Zofia Odrowąż, Polish noblewoman (born 1540)
- August 1 - Albrecht Giese, German politician and diplomat (born 1524)
- August 19 - Andrea Palladio, Italian architect (born 1508)
- August 20 - Jeronymo Osorio, Portuguese historian (b. 1506)
- August 30 - Emmanuel Philibert (born 1528)
- November 3 - Jeronimo Zurita y Castro, Spanish historian (born 1512)
- November 30 - Richard Farrant, English composer (born 1530)
- December 1 - Giovanni Morone, Italian cardinal (b. 1509)
- date unknown
- Henry FitzAlan, English nobleman (born 1511)
- Giovanni Filippo Ingrassias, Italian anatomist (born 1545)
- Robert Lindsay of Pitscottie, Scottish chronicler (born c1532)
- Matsudaira Shigeyoshi, Japanese general (born 1493)
- Ruy López de Segura, Spanish priest and writer on chess (born 1530)
- Inés de Suárez, Spanish conquistadora (born 1507)
- Thomas Tusser, English poet and farmer (born 1524)
- See also 1580 deaths.
- ^ Roberts, J: "History of the World.". Penguin, 1994.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1580. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1580 at Familypedia
70 people were born in 1580
31 children were born to the 20 women born in 1580
32 people died in 1580
1287 people lived in 1580
Events of the year 1580 at FamilypediaEdit
14 people were married in 1580.
There were 0 military battles in 1580.