|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
|Years:||1600 1601 1602 - 1603 - 1604 1605 1606|
|1603 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
January - JuneEdit
- March - Samuel de Champlain, French explorer, sails to Canada.
- March 24 - Elizabeth I of England dies and is succeeded by her cousin's grandson, King James I of England, uniting the crowns of Scotland and England.
- April 28 – Funeral of Elizabeth I of England in Westminster Abbey.
July - DecemberEdit
- July 17 or July 19 - Sir Walter Raleigh arrested for treason.
- July 25 - Coronation of James I of England.
- August - Samuel de Champlain returns to France
- November 17 - Sir Walter Raleigh goes on trial for treason in the converted Great Hall of Winchester Castle.
- December 22 - Mehmed III Sultan of the Ottoman Empire dies and is succeeded by his son Ahmed I.
- Johann Bayer's Uranometria, an atlas of the southern sky, is published.
- Tokugawa Ieyasu granted title of shogun from Emperor Go-Yozei of Japan and establishes the Edo or Tokugawa Shogunate in Edo, Japan. This ends the Azuchi-Momoyama period and begins the Edo period.
- Accademia dei Lincei founded.
- Huguenot Pierre de Gua is granted royal permission to settle in North America.
- Rebellion in Transylvania.
- Plague in England.
- English crush Irish rebellion. Hugh O'Neill surrenders.
- Yaqob deposed as Emperor of Ethiopia by Za Sellase, who appoints his cousin Za Dengel to replace him.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1603 |
|Ab urbe condita||2356|
|Armenian calendar|| 1052 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-241 – -240|
|Coptic calendar||1319 – 1320|
|Ethiopian calendar||1595 – 1596|
|Hebrew calendar||5363 – 5364|
|- Vikram Samvat||1658 – 1659|
|- Shaka Samvat||1525 – 1526|
|- Kali Yuga||4704 – 4705|
|Iranian calendar||981 – 982|
|Islamic calendar||1011 – 1012|
|Japanese calendar|| Keichō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2263|
|Thai solar calendar||2146|
- January - Shackerley Marmion, English dramatist (d. 1639)
- January 27 - Harbottle Grimston, English politician (d. 1685)
- March 18
- April 19 - Michel le Tellier, French statesman (d. 1685)
- June 17 - Joseph of Cupertino, Italian saint (d. 1663)
- July 11 - Kenelm Digby, English privateer and alchemist (d. 1665)
- July 23 - Axel Lillie, Swedish soldier and politician (d. 1662)
- August 16 - Adam Olearius, German scholar (d. 1671)
- August 17 - Lennart Torstenson,Dutch solidier and military engineer (d. 1651)
- September 15 - Tokugawa Yorifusa, Japanese nobleman (d. 1661)
- October 10 - Abel Janszoon Tasman, a Dutch seafarer and explorer (d. 1659)
- November 16 - Augustyn Kordecki, Polish prior of the Jasna Góra Monastery (d. 1673)
- December 21 - Roger Williams, English theologian and colonist (d. 1684)
- date unknown
- Louis Abelly, French monk and priest (died 1691)
- John Ashburnham, English Member of Parliament (died 1671)
- Daniel Blagrave, English Member of Parliament (died 1668)
- Johannes Cocceius, Dutch theologian (died 1669)
- Valentin Conrart, one of the founders of the Académie française (died 1675)
- Denis Gaultier, French lutenist and composer (died 1672)
See also 1603 births.
- January 15 - Catherine Carey, Lady in waiting to Elizabeth I of England
- February 23 - Andrea Cesalpino, Italian philosopher, physician, and botanist (b. 1519)
- March 24 - Queen Elizabeth I of England (b. 1533)
- March 25 - Ikoma Chikamasa, Japanese warlord (b. 1526)
- April 25 – George Frederick (b. 1539)
- June - Baldassare Donato, Italian composer and singer (b. 1525)
- June 27 - Jan Dymitr Solikowski, Polish archbishop, writer, and diplomat (b. 1539)
- July 4 - Philippe de Monte, Flemish composer (b. 1521)
- September 8 - George Carey, English politician (b. 1547)
- November 16 - Pierre Charron, French philosopher (b. 1541)
- November 20 – Krzysztof Mikołaj "the Lightning" Radziwiłł, Polish nobleman (b. 1547)
- December 9 - William Watson, English conspirator (b. 1559)
- December 10 - William Gilbert, English scientist (plague) (b. 1544)
- December 13 - François Viète, French mathematician (b. 1540)
- December 22 - Mehmed III, Ottoman Emperor (b. 1566)
- December 27 - Thomas Cartwright, English Puritan clergyman
- date unknown
See also 1603 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1603. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1603 at Familypedia
42 people were born in 1603
21 children were born to the 14 women born in 1603
24 people died in 1603
1738 people lived in 1603
Events of the year 1603 at FamilypediaEdit
20 people were married in 1603.
There were 0 military battles in 1603.