|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
|Years:||1601 1602 1603 - 1604 - 1605 1606 1607|
|1604 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1604Edit
January - JuneEdit
- January 14 – Hampton Court conference with James I of England, the Anglican bishops and representatives of Puritans.
February is coming soon...
July - DecemberEdit
- September 20 – Capture of Ostend by Spanish forces under Ambrosio Spinola after a three year siege.
- October 9 – Supernova 1604 is observed. As of this writing, this was the last supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
- November 1 – At Whitehall Palace in London, the William Shakespeare tragedy Othello is presented for the first time.
- The Sikh Holy Scripture Guru Granth Sahib is compiled and edited by Guru Arjan.
- France begins settling Acadia, first successful French North American colony.
- France begins settling French Guiana.
- England concludes the Treaty of London with Spain, ending its involvement in the Eighty Years' War.
- Peter Blundell founds Blundell's School in Tiverton, England.
- Za Dengel deposed as Emperor of Ethiopia by Za Sellase, who restores his cousin Yaqob.
- Table Alphabeticall, the first known English Dictionary to be organized by alphabetical ordering, was published.
- Before 1st October Huntingdon Beaumont had completed the Wollaton Wagonway built to transport coal from the mines at Strelley to Wollaton just west of Nottingham, England. This is currently the world's oldest wagonway with provenance. Exact date unknown but a surviving account book for the year ended 30 September 1604 proves it was built within the preceding 12 months.
- The A-text of Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus is officially published.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1604 |
|Ab urbe condita||2357|
|Armenian calendar|| 1053 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-240 – -239|
|Coptic calendar||1320 – 1321|
|Ethiopian calendar||1596 – 1597|
|Hebrew calendar||5364 – 5365|
|- Vikram Samvat||1659 – 1660|
|- Shaka Samvat||1526 – 1527|
|- Kali Yuga||4705 – 4706|
|Iranian calendar||982 – 983|
|Islamic calendar||1012 – 1013|
|Japanese calendar|| Keichō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2264|
|Thai solar calendar||2147|
- January 4 Jakob Balde, German Latinist (d. 1668)
- March 10? - Johann Rudolf Glauber, German-Dutch alchemist and chemist (d. 1670)
- April 5 - Charles IV (d. 1675)
- May 10 - Jean Mairet, French dramatist (d. 1686)
- June 17 - John Maurice of Nassau, count of Nassau-Siegen (d. 1679)
- August 3 - John Eliot, English puritan missionary (d. 1690)
- August 4 - François Hédelin, French author (d. 1676)
- August 12 - Tokugawa Iemitsu, Japanese shogun (d. 1651)
- August 16 - Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar, general in the Thirty Years' War (d. 1639)
- September 13 - William Brereton, English soldier and politician (d. 1661)
- October 14 - Nils Brahe, Swedish soldier (d. 1632)
- November - Jasper Mayne, English dramatist (d. 1672)
- November 3 - Osman II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire (d. 1622)
- date unknown
See also 1604 births.
- February 29 - John Whitgift, Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1530)
- March 4 - Fausto Paolo Sozzini, Italian theologian (born 1539)
- March 13 - Arnaud d'Ossat, French diplomat and writer (b. 1537)
- May 5 - Claudio Merulo, Italian composer (b. 1533)
- June 24 - Edward de Vere, English politician (b. 1550)
- August 3 - Bernardino de Mendoza, Spanish military commander
- August 8 - Horio Tadauji, Japanese warlord (b. 1578)
- September 10 - William Morgan, Welsh Bible translator (b. 1545)
- October 18 - Igram van Achelen, Dutch statesman (b. 1528)
- December 3 - George Hastings (b. 1540)
- date unknown
See also 1604 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1604. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1604 at Familypedia
47 people were born in 1604
26 children were born to the 15 women born in 1604
17 people died in 1604
1604 people lived in 1604
Events of the year 1604 at FamilypediaEdit
26 people were married in 1604.
There were 0 military battles in 1604.