|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1580s 1590s 1600s - 1610s - 1620s 1630s 1640s
|Years:||1608 1609 1610 - 1611 - 1612 1613 1614|
|1611 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1611 Edit
January - JuneEdit
- March 28 - Jamestown: Lord Delaware, governor at Jamestown, leaves the colony after extended illness, having arrived with 150 more settlers at "James Citty" on June 10, 1610. George Percy is Deputy Governor, awaiting arrival of Thomas Dale.
- April 28 - Most Reverend Miguel de Benavides, the third Archbishop of Manila, founded the oldest university in Asia, University of Santo Tomas.
- May 12 - Sir Thomas Dale, new deputy governor of Virginia arrives off Point Comfort.
- May 25 - Jamestown: Sir Thomas Dale, new deputy governor of Virginia, on military leave from his previous post in the Low Countries, writes upon arriving, that crops have not been planted and no "corn has been sett" [archaic spelling], but that the "cattle, cows, goats, swine, poultry &c" are well.
- June 30 - William Shakespeare continues work on staging a totally original play, not based on previous publications, called The Tempest.
July - DecemberEdit
- August 2 - Jamestown: Sir Thomas Gates, Deputy Governor returns to Virginia with 280 people, provisions and cattle on 6 ships and assumes control: the fort must be strengthened.
- September - Jamestown: Thomas Dale with 350 men start building Henricus.
- October 30 - Gustavus Adolphus succeeds his father Charles IX as king of Sweden.
- November 1 - At Whitehall Palace in London, William Shakespeare's romantic comedy The Tempest is performed for the first time.
- Complete King James Version of the Bible is first published in England.
- Johannes and David Fabricius discover sunspots.
- End of the reign of Emperor Go-Yozei of Japan.
- Emperor Go-Mizunoo ascends to the throne of Japan.
- Jamestown: John Rolfe imports tobacco seeds from the island of Trinidad, Nicotiana tabacum; native tobacco was Nicotiana rustica.
- Thomas Dale founds the city of Henricus on the James River a few miles south of present day Richmond, Virginia.
- Denmark attacks Sweden.
- George Abbot becomes Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Naghsh-i Jahan Square construction began.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1611 |
|Ab urbe condita||2364|
|Armenian calendar|| 1060 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-233 – -232|
|Coptic calendar||1327 – 1328|
|Ethiopian calendar||1603 – 1604|
|Hebrew calendar||5371 – 5372|
|- Vikram Samvat||1666 – 1667|
|- Shaka Samvat||1533 – 1534|
|- Kali Yuga||4712 – 4713|
|Iranian calendar||989 – 990|
|Islamic calendar||1019 – 1020|
|Japanese calendar|| Keichō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2271|
|Thai solar calendar||2154|
- January 28 - Johannes Hevelius, astronomer (died 1687)
- May 16 - Pope Innocent XI (died 1689)
- July 16 - Archduchess Cecilia Renata of Austria, Queen of Poland (died 1644)
- September 1 - William Cartwright (died 1643)
- September 8 - Johann Friedrich Gronovius, German classical scholar (died 1671)
- September 11 - Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Marshal of France (died 1675)
- November 1 - François-Marie, Italian-born French commander (died 1656)
- date unknown
- See also 1611 births.
- February 12 - Jodocus Hondius, cartographer (born 1563)
- February 26 - Antonio Possevino, papal legate to Russia
- March 5 - Shimazu Yoshihisa, Japanese warlord and samurai (born 1533)
- June 8 - Jean Bertaut, French poet (born 1552)
- July 26 - Horio Yoshiharu, Japanese warlord (born 1542)
- August 2 - Kato Kiyomasa, Japanese warlord and samurai (born 1562)
- August 20 - Tomás Luis de Victoria, Spanish composer (born 1548)
- October 3 - Charles of Lorraine, French military leader (born 1554)
- October 30 - King Charles IX of Sweden (born 1550)
- date unknown - Camillo Mariani, sculptor (born 1565)
- See also 1611 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1611. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1611 at Familypedia
32 people were born in 1611
7 children were born to the 6 women born in 1611
26 people died in 1611
1774 people lived in 1611
Events of the year 1611 at FamilypediaEdit
23 people were married in 1611.
There were 0 military battles in 1611.