Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1620s 1630s 1640s - 1650s - 1660s 1670s 1680s
|Years:||1650 1651 1652 - 1653 - 1654 1655 1656|
|1653 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Year 1653 (MDCLIII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Saturday of the 10-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1653 Edit
January - June Edit
- February 2 - New Amsterdam (later renamed New York City) is incorporated.
- March 14 - A Dutch fleet defeats the English at the Battle of Leghorn. The Dutch commander, Johan van Galen, later dies of his wounds.
- April 20 - Oliver Cromwell expels the Long Parliament.
- May 24 - Ferdinand IV is elected King of the Romans.
- June 12 - First Anglo-Dutch War: Battle of the Gabbard - lasted until June 13.
July - December Edit
- July 4 - The Barebones Parliament meets in London till December 12.
- August 8-10 - Battle of Scheveningen: The final naval battle of the First Anglo-Dutch War is fought, between the fleets of the Commonwealth of England and the United Provinces; English naval victory over Dutch fleet off the Texel.
- December 16 - Oliver Cromwell becomes Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland.
- End of the first period of republican government called the Commonwealth of England. The Rump Parliament was disbanded by Oliver Cromwell. See also the Long Parliament and Southamptonshire.
- Marcello Malpighi becomes a doctor of medicine.
- Stephen Bachiler returns to England.
- John Thurloe becomes the head of intelligence for Oliver Cromwell's Protectorate.
- The Taj Mahal mausoleum is completed.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1653 |
|Ab urbe condita||2406|
|Armenian calendar|| 1102 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-191 – -190|
|Coptic calendar||1369 – 1370|
|Ethiopian calendar||1645 – 1646|
|Hebrew calendar||5413 – 5414|
|- Vikram Samvat||1708 – 1709|
|- Shaka Samvat||1575 – 1576|
|- Kali Yuga||4754 – 4755|
|Iranian calendar||1031 – 1032|
|Islamic calendar||1063 – 1064|
|Japanese calendar|| Jōō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2313|
|Thai solar calendar||2196|
- January 13 - Philipp Jakob Spener, German theologian (died 1705)
- February 17 - Arcangelo Corelli, Italian composer (died 1713)
- April 2 - Prince George of Denmark, consort of Queen Anne of Great Britain (died 1708)
- May 8 - Claude-Louis-Hector de Villars, Marshall of France (died 1734)
- June 1 - Georg Muffat, French composer (died 1704)
- June 26 - Cardinal André-Hercule de Fleury, Bishop of Fréjus, chief minister of France under Louis XV of France (died 1743)
- July 5 - Thomas Pitt, British Governor of Madras (died 1726)
- July 25 - Agostino Steffani, Italian diplomat and composer (died 1728)
- August 9 - John Oldham, English poet (died 1683)
- August 14 - Christopher Monck, English statesman (died 1688)
- September 3 - Roger North, English lawyer and biographer (died 1734)
- October 18 - Abraham van Riebeeck, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies (died 1713)
- date unknown - Chikamatsu Monzaemon, Japanese playwright (died 1725)
- date unknown - Rahman Baba, legendary Afghan Pashto Sufi poet (died 1711)
- See also 1653 births.
- March 23 - Johan van Galen, Dutch naval officer (born 1604)
- March 24 - Samuel Scheidt, German composer (born 1587)
- May 26 - Robert Filmer, English writer (born 1588)
- July 10 - Gabriel Naudé, French librarian and scholar (born 1600)
- July 31 - Thomas Dudley, Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony (born 1576)
- August 10 - Maarten Tromp, Dutch admiral (born 1598)
- October 3 - Marcus Zuerius van Boxhorn, Dutch scholar (born 1612)
- See also 1653 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1653. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1653 at Familypedia
58 people were born in 1653
40 children were born to the 25 women born in 1653
26 people died in 1653
2629 people lived in 1653
Events of the year 1653 at FamilypediaEdit
44 people were married in 1653.
There were 0 military battles in 1653.