|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
|Years:||1667 1668 1669 - 1670 - 1671 1672 1673|
|1670 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Year 1670 (MDCLXX) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Saturday of the 10-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1670 Edit
January - June Edit
- January 21 – Highwayman Claude Duval is executed in Tyburn, Middlesex
- April 29 - Pope Clement X succeeds Pope Clement IX as the 239th pope.
- May 2 - The Hudson's Bay Company is founded in England, but located in Canada.
- May 26 - In Dover, Charles II of England and Louis XIV of France secretly sign a treaty ending hostilities between their kingdoms
July - DecemberEdit
- August - Spanish frigates attack Charleston.
- September 1 - September 5 - William Penn and William Mead are tried in London for preaching a Quaker sermon.
- Phosphorus is discovered by Hennig Brand.
- Blaise Pascal's Pensées is posthumously published.
- England gains formal possession of Jamaica.
- Les Invalides constructed by Louis XIV of France.
- First French settlers arrive in modern-day Senegal.
- Rebellion of Cossacks in Ukraine is crushed.
- Henry Morgan captures Panama.
- Niani, capital of the Mali Empire, is sacked by the Bambara of the emerging Segou Empire.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1670 |
|Ab urbe condita||2423|
|Armenian calendar|| 1119 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-174 – -173|
|Coptic calendar||1386 – 1387|
|Ethiopian calendar||1662 – 1663|
|Hebrew calendar||5430 – 5431|
|- Vikram Samvat||1725 – 1726|
|- Shaka Samvat||1592 – 1593|
|- Kali Yuga||4771 – 4772|
|Iranian calendar||1048 – 1049|
|Islamic calendar||1080 – 1081|
|Japanese calendar|| Kanbun
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2330|
|Thai solar calendar||2213|
- January 24 - William Congreve, English playwright (d. 1729)
- February 28 - Benjamin Wadsworth, American President of Harvard University (d. 1737)
- May 8 - Charles Beauclerk, English soldier (d. 1726)
- May 12 - King Frederick Augustus I of Poland (d. 1733)
- June 10 - Jabez Lewis (d. 1738)
- July 18 - Giovanni Bononcini, Italian composer (d. 1747)
- July 19 - Richard Leveridge, English bass and composer (d. 1758)
- August 21 - James FitzJames, French military commander (d. 1734)
- November 30 - John Toland, Irish philosopher (d. 1722)
- December 4 - John Aislabie, English politician and director of the South Sea Company (d. 1742)
- Sultan Abdullah Khan Abdali, Persian Governor of Herat, Shah of Herat (d. 1721)
- See also 1670 births.
- January 3 - George Monck, English soldier (b. 1608)
- January 25 - Nicholas II (b. 1612)
- February 19 - King Frederick III of Denmark (b. 1609)
- March 10 - Johann Glauber, German chemist (b. 1604)
- March 15 - John Davenport, Connecticut pioneer (b. 1597)
- April - Ahom King Swargadeo Chakradhwaj Singha or Supangmung of Assam, India
- May 21 - Niccolò Zucchi, Italian astronomer and physicist (b. 1586)
- May 23 - Ferdinando II de' Medici (b. 1610)
- June 30 - Princess Henrietta Anne Stuart of Scotland, England, and Ireland (b. 1644)
- October 27 - Vavasor Powell, Welsh non-conformist leader (b. 1617)
- November 15 - Comenius, Czech writer (b. 1592)
- See also 1670 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1670. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1670 at Familypedia
114 people were born in 1670
63 children were born to the 46 women born in 1670
59 people died in 1670
3745 people lived in 1670
Events of the year 1670 at FamilypediaEdit
56 people were married in 1670.
There were 0 military battles in 1670.