|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
|Years:||1669 1670 1671 - 1672 - 1673 1674 1675|
|1672 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1672 Edit
January - June Edit
- March - The Synod of Jerusalem brought together bishops and representatives from the whole of Eastern Orthodox Christendom to discuss Orthodox dogma against the challenge of Protestantism.
- March 15 - Charles II of England issues the Royal Declaration of Indulgence.
- May 2 - John Maitland becomes Duke of Lauderdale and Earl of March.
- June 12 - French forces under king Louis XIV cross the Rhine to Netherlands
- June 28 - William III of Orange appointed Stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland and Utrecht.
July - December Edit
- August 20 - Johan de Witt, Grand Pensionary of Holland is slaughtered by a mob in The Hague.
- October - Spain begins construction on the masonry fort that will become Castillo de San Marcos to protect St. Augustine
- England, France, Münster and Cologne invade the United Provinces. 1672 becomes known as ´het rampjaar´ (the disaster year) in the Netherlands.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1672 |
|Ab urbe condita||2425|
|Armenian calendar|| 1121 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-172 – -171|
|Coptic calendar||1388 – 1389|
|Ethiopian calendar||1664 – 1665|
|Hebrew calendar||5432 – 5433|
|- Vikram Samvat||1727 – 1728|
|- Shaka Samvat||1594 – 1595|
|- Kali Yuga||4773 – 4774|
|Iranian calendar||1050 – 1051|
|Islamic calendar||1082 – 1083|
|Japanese calendar|| Kanbun
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2332|
|Thai solar calendar||2215|
- January 4 - Hugh Boulter, Irish Archbishop of Armagh (d. 1742)
- January 15 - Antoine Houdar de la Motte, French writer (d. 1731)
- February 13 - Étienne François Geoffroy, French chemist (d. 1731)
- February 26 - Antoine Augustine Calmet, French theologian (d. 1757)
- May 1 - Joseph Addison, English politician and writer (d. 1719)
- June 9 - Emperor Peter I of Russia (d. 1725)
- June 11 - Francesco Antonio Bonporti, Italian priest and composer (d. 1749)
- August 2 - Johann Jakob Scheuchzer, Swiss scholar (d. 1733)
- September 8 - Nicolas de Grigny, French organist and composer (d. 1703)
- October 11 - Pylyp Orlyk, Ukrainian Zaporozhian Cossack starshina, diplomat (d. 1742)
- October 21 - Ludovico Antonio Muratori, Italian historian and scholar (d. 1750)
- See also 1672 births.
- January 15 - John Cosin, English clergyman (born 1594)
- February 19 - Charles Chauncy, English-born president of Harvard College (born 1592)
- April 22 - Georg Stiernhielm, Swedish poet (born 1598)
- May 5 - Samuel Cooper, English painter (born 1609)
- May 8 - Jean-Armand du Peyrer, Comte de Tréville and French Officer (born 1598)
- May 11 - Charles Seton, English royalist (born 1615)
- May 28 - John Trevor, English politician (born 1626)
- June 27 - Roger Twysden, English antiquarian and royalist (born 1597)
- July 3 - Francis Willughby, English biologist (born 1635)
- August 20 - Johan de Witt, Dutch politician (born 1625)
- August 20 - Cornelis de Witt, Dutch politician (born 1623)
- September 12 - Tanneguy Lefebvre, French classical scholar (born 1615)
- September 16 - Anne Bradstreet, American colonial writer (born c.1612)
- October 24 - John Webb, English architect (born 1611)
- November 6 - Heinrich Schütz, German composer (born 1585)
- November 19 - John Wilkins, English Bishop of Chester (born 1614)
- December 6 - King John II Casimir of Poland (born 1609)
- December 7 - Richard Bellingham, Massachusetts colonial magistrate (born 1592)
- date unknown - Denis Gaultier, French lutenist and composer (born 1603)
- See also 1672 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1672. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1672 at Familypedia
92 people were born in 1672
46 children were born to the 46 women born in 1672
56 people died in 1672
3483 people lived in 1672
Events of the year 1672 at FamilypediaEdit
68 people were married in 1672.
There were 0 military battles in 1672.