|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
|Years:||1673 1674 1675 - 1676 - 1677 1678 1679|
|1676 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1676 Edit
January - June Edit
- January 29 - Feodor III becomes Tsar of Russia.
- May 26 - a fire destroys the Town Hall and 624 houses in Southwark in England.
- June - Beginning of Bacon's Rebellion in the Virginia Colony.
July - December Edit
- July 17 - In France, Marie-Madeleine-Marguerite d'Aubray is executed for poisoning his father and brothers. Case also scares the king Louis XIV to start a series of investigations about possible poisonings and witchcraft, later called the Poison affair.
- 12 August - King Philip (Metacomet), the chief of the Wampanoags that had waged war throughout southern New England in a war that bore his name, was killed after a party led by Benjamin Church tracked him down.
- September 21 - Pope Innocent XI succeeds Pope Clement X as the 240th pope.
- November 16 - The Nantucket Island Prison founded on Nantucket Island in the English colony of Massachusetts.
- December - Ole Rømer makes the first quantitative measurements of the speed of light.
- First measurement of the speed of light, by Ole Rømer.
- King Philip's War continues, between the settlers in New England and the indigenous tribes led by Metacomet.
- First actions in the Russo-Turkish Wars.
- Emperor Yohannes I decrees that Muslims must live separately from Christians throughout Ethiopia.
- Anton van Leeuwenhoek discovers microorganisms.
- Turku was the meeting place of the States of Finland.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1676 |
|Ab urbe condita||2429|
|Armenian calendar|| 1125 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-168 – -167|
|Coptic calendar||1392 – 1393|
|Ethiopian calendar||1668 – 1669|
|Hebrew calendar||5436 – 5437|
|- Vikram Samvat||1731 – 1732|
|- Shaka Samvat||1598 – 1599|
|- Kali Yuga||4777 – 4778|
|Iranian calendar||1054 – 1055|
|Islamic calendar||1086 – 1087|
|Japanese calendar|| Enpō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2336|
|Thai solar calendar||2219|
- May 8 - Frederick I of Sweden (died 1751)
- March 17 - Thomas Boston, Scottish church leader (died 1732)
- March 27 - Francis II Rákóczi, leader of the Hungarian uprising against the Habsburg (died April 8, 1735)
- April 23 - King Frederick I of Sweden (died 1751)
- May 28 - Jacopo Riccati, Italian mathematician (died 1754)
- June 21 - Anthony Collins, English philosopher (died 1729)
- July 3 - Leopold I, Prussian field marshal (died 1747)
- July 14 - Caspar Abel, German theologian, historian, and poet (died 1763)
- August 26 - Robert Walpole, first Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (died 1745)
- September 19 - Eberhard Ludwig (died 1733)
- October 8 - Benito Jerónimo Feijóo y Montenegro, Spanish scholar (died 1764)
- See also 1676 births.
- January 14 - Francesco Cavalli, Italian composer (born 1602)
- January 29 - Tsar Alexis I of Russia (born 1629)
- February 14 - Abraham Bosse, French engraver and artist (born c.1604)
- March 21 - Henri Sauval, French historian (born 1623)
- April 5 - John Winthrop, Governor of Connecticut (born 1606)
- April 29 - Michiel Adriaanszoon de Ruijter, Dutch admiral (born 1607)
- June 7 - Paul Gerhardt, German hymnist (born 1606)
- July 5 - Carl Gustaf Wrangel, Swedish soldier (born 1613)
- July 22 - Pope Clement X (born 1590)
- July 25 - François Hédelin, French writer (born 1604)
- August 11 - Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen, German writer (born 1621)
- September 10 - Gerrard Winstanley, English religious reformer (born 1609)
- October 28 - Jean Desmarets, French writer (born 1595)
- November 1 - Gisbertus Voetius, Dutch theologian (born 1589)
- December 25 - Matthew Hale, Lord Chief Justice of England (born 1609)
- December 25 - William Cavendish, English soldier, politician, and writer (born 1592)
- See also 1676 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1676. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1676 at Familypedia
54 people were born in 1676
33 children were born to the 24 women born in 1676
62 people died in 1676
3003 people lived in 1676
Events of the year 1676 at FamilypediaEdit
43 people were married in 1676.
There were 0 military battles in 1676.