Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
|Years:||1676 1677 1678 - 1679 - 1680 1681 1682|
|1679 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Year 1679 (MDCLXXIX) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 10-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1679 Edit
January - June Edit
- January 24 - King Charles II of England disbands Parliament
- May 27 - Habeas Corpus Act 1679 passed in England.
- June 1 - Scottish Covenanters defeat a small government force in the Battle of Drumclog
- June 22 - the Duke of Monmouth subdues the Covenanters at the Battle of Bothwell Bridge
July - December Edit
- August 7 - The brigantine Le Griffon, which was commissioned by René Robert Cavelier, is towed to the southern end of the Niagara River, to become the first ship to sail the upper Great Lakes.
- European explorers discover Niagara Falls.
- Whig Parliament is elected in England.
- A fire in Boston, burns all of the warehouses, 80 houses, and all of the ships in the dockyards.
- The city of Duluth is founded.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1679 |
|Ab urbe condita||2432|
|Armenian calendar|| 1128 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-165 – -164|
|Coptic calendar||1395 – 1396|
|Ethiopian calendar||1671 – 1672|
|Hebrew calendar||5439 – 5440|
|- Vikram Samvat||1734 – 1735|
|- Shaka Samvat||1601 – 1602|
|- Kali Yuga||4780 – 4781|
|Iranian calendar||1057 – 1058|
|Islamic calendar||1089 – 1090|
|Japanese calendar|| Enpō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2339|
|Thai solar calendar||2222|
- January 24 - Christian Wolff, German philosopher (d. 1754)
- March 18 - Matthew Decker, English merchant and writer (d. 1749)
- August 22 - Pierre Guérin de Tencin, French cardinal (d. 1758)
- October 16 - Jan Dismas Zelenka, Bohemian composer (d. 1745)
- October 18 - Ann Putnam, American accuser in the Salem witch trials (d. 1716)
- date unknown - Firmin Abauzit, French scientist (d. 1767)
- See also 1679 births.
- January 1 - Jan Steen, Dutch painter
- March 16 - John Leverett, Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony (b. 1616)
- March 26 - Johannes Schefferus, Alsatian-born humanist (b. 1621)
- May 3 - James Sharp, English archbishop (assassinated) (b. 1613)
- May 26 - Ferdinand Maria (b. 1636)
- June 15 - Guillaume Courtois, French painter (b. 1628)
- July 11 - William Chamberlayne, English poet (b. 1619)
- August 6 - John Snell, English royalist (b. 1629)
- August 24 - Jean François Paul de Gondi, French churchman and agitator (b. 1614)
- September 17 - John of Austria the Younger, Spanish general (b. 1629)
- October 12 - William Gurnall, English writer (b. 1617)
- October 26 - Roger Boyle, British soldier, statesman, and dramatist (b. 1621)
- December 4 - Thomas Hobbes, English philosopher (b. 1588)
- December 31 - Giovanni Alfonso Borelli, Italian physiologist and physicist (b. 1608)
- date unknown - Lady Anne Finch Conway, English philosopher (b. 1631)
- See also 1679 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1679. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1679 at Familypedia
58 people were born in 1679
33 children were born to the 26 women born in 1679
40 people died in 1679
3029 people lived in 1679
Events of the year 1679 at FamilypediaEdit
38 people were married in 1679.
There were 0 military battles in 1679.