Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||17th century - 18th century - 19th century|
|Decades:|| 1690s 1700s 1710s - 1720s - 1730s 1740s 1750s
|Years:||1726 1727 1728 - 1729 - 1730 1731 1732|
|1729 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature (Poetry) – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
- This article is about the year. For the number, see 1729.
Year 1729 (MDCCXXIX) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 11-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1729 Edit
- July 25 - Seven of the original eight Lords Proprietors sell their tracts within the Province of Carolina back to the crown. The Province is permanently divided and reorganized into the Royal Colonies of North Carolina and South Carolina.
- July 30 - Baltimore is founded.
- November 9 - Treaty of Seville signed between Great Britain, France, Spain and the Dutch Republic.
- November 28 - The worst Indian massacre to take place on Mississippi soil occurs when Natchez Indians kill 138 Frenchmen, 35 French women, and 56 children at Fort Rosalie (near modern-day Natchez).
- Astronomer James Bradley discovers and describes the principle of aberration of starlight.
- The third oldest settlement in Mississippi, Port Gibson, was founded.
- A fire in Istanbul destroys 12,000 houses and kills 7,000 inhabitants.
- Jonathan Swift publishes A Modest Proposal.
- At the Battle of Damghan, the Persians under Nadir Shah defeat the Afghans.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1729 |
|Ab urbe condita||2482|
|Armenian calendar|| 1178 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-115 – -114|
|Coptic calendar||1445 – 1446|
|Ethiopian calendar||1721 – 1722|
|Hebrew calendar||5489 – 5490|
|- Vikram Samvat||1784 – 1785|
|- Shaka Samvat||1651 – 1652|
|- Kali Yuga||4830 – 4831|
|Iranian calendar||1107 – 1108|
|Islamic calendar||1141 – 1142|
|Japanese calendar|| Kyōhō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2389|
|Thai solar calendar||2272|
- January 12 - Lazzaro Spallanzani, Italian biologist (died 1799)
- January 12 - Edmund Burke, Irish statesman and philosopher (died 1797)
- January 22 - Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, German author and philosopher (died 1781)
- May 2 - Catherine the Great of Russia (died 1796)
- August 10 - William Howe, British general (died 1814)
- November 12 - Louis Antoine de Bougainville, French navigator and military commander (died 1811)
- November 24 - Alexander Suvorov, Russian general (died 1800)
- date unknown - Samuel Barrington, British admiral (died 1800)
- See also 1729 births.
- January 19 - William Congreve, English playwright (born 1670)
- January 31 - Jakob Roggeveen, Dutch explorer (born 1659)
- March 2 - Francesco Bianchini, Italian philosopher and scientist (born 1662)
- March 21 - John Law, Scottish economist (born 1671)
- May 17 - Samuel Clarke, English philosopher (born 1675)
- July 16 - Johann David Heinichen, German composer (born 1683)
- August 5 - Thomas Newcomen, English inventor (born 1663)
- September 3 - Jean Hardouin, French scholar (born 1646)
- September 7 - William Burnet, British Governor of New York and New Jersey (born 1688)
- October 9 - Richard Blackmore, English physician and writer (born 1654)
- December 1 - Giacomo F. Maraldi, French-Italian astronomer (born 1665)
- December 13 - Anthony Collins, English philosopher (born 1676)
- See also 1729 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1729. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1729 at Familypedia
56 people were born in 1729
31 children were born to the 27 women born in 1729
52 people died in 1729
3192 people lived in 1729
Events of the year 1729 at FamilypediaEdit
58 people were married in 1729.
There were 0 military battles in 1729.