|Centuries:||17th century - 18th century - 19th century|
|Decades:||1740s 1750s 1760s - 1770s - 1780s 1790s 1800s|
|Years:|| 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774|
1775 1776 1777 1778 1779
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - Architecture|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and trendsEdit
For more events, see 18th century
- United States Declaration of Independence ratified by the Continental Congress (July 4, 1776). The document was drafted by a committee consisting of representatives John Adams of Massachusetts, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania, Thomas Jefferson of Virginia, Robert R. Livingston of New York and Roger Sherman of Connecticut.
- Abol Fath Khan accends to the throne of Persia as the second Shah of the Zand dynasty in 1779.
- The Ferguson rifle, an invention by British Major Patrick Ferguson, was most likely the first breech loading rifle to be adopted by any organized military force. It was used for an interval by the British in the American Revolutionary war, but it's superior firepower was unappreciated as being outside the paradigm of armed lines of men standing face to face.
- The British East India Company troops suffer a crushing defeat at the hands of the Marathas in the Battle of Wadgaon in January 1779. This is the first ever defeat for the Company's troops since Plassey.
World leaders Edit
- Emperor Ch'ien Lung (China)
- King Christian VII (Denmark and Norway)
- King George III of Great Britain and the Prince-elector of Hanover.
- Maria Theresa of Austria, Holy Roman Empress, Queen of Bohemia and Hungary
- Frederick II of Prussia, King of Prussia
- Empress Catherine II (Russia)
- King Charles III (Spain)
- King Louis XV (France)
- King Louis XVI (France)
- Emperor Go-Momozono (Japan)
- Shah Alam II (Mughal Empire)
- Peshwa of the Marathas
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1770s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|