|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1780s 1790s 1800s - 1810s - 1820s 1830s 1840s
|Years:||1813 1814 1815 - 1816 - 1817 1818 1819|
|1816 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1816 (MDCCCXVI) was a leap year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a leap year starting on Saturday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar). This year was known as The Year Without a Summer because of globally low temperatures.
Events of 1816Edit
January - MarchEdit
- The Chinese New Year of the Fire Rat begins in January.
- Known as the "Year Without A Summer" or "Eighteen-hundred-and-froze-to-death" in the northern hemisphere due to global cooling caused by the Mount Tambora volcanic eruption that had occurred in 1815.
- January 9 - Sir Humphry Davy tested the Davy lamp for Miners at Hebburn Colliery.
- February 12 - Fire nearly destroyed the city of St. John's, Newfoundland.
- February 20 - Gioachino Rossini's The Barber of Seville debuts at Teatro Argentina, with a fiasco.
- March 22 - A post office is established near the falls of the Tar River in eastern Nash County, North Carolina and named Rocky Mount for a rocky mound at the base of the falls. The area grows slowly and is not incorporated until 1867.
- March 23 - Emancipation from serfdom in Estonia.
- March 25 - Friedrich Karl Ludwig dies and is succeeded by the later Friedrich Wilhelm, his son and founder of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
April - JuneEdit
- April 11 - In Philadelphia, the African Methodist Episcopal Church is established by Richard Allen and other African-American Methodists, the first such denomination completely independent of White churches.
- May 2 - Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, later King of the Belgians, marries Charlotte Augusta, but she dies the next year.
- June 19 - Battle of Seven Oaks between Hudson Bay and Northwest fur-trading companies, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
July - SeptemberEdit
- July 9 - Argentina gains independence from Spain
- July 17 - The French passenger ship Medusa runs aground off the coast of Senegal, with 140 lives lost in the botched rescue that takes weeks, leading to a scandal in the French government.
- August 24 - The Treaty of St. Louis is signed in St. Louis, Missouri.
- August 27 - Bombardment of Algiers
October - DecemberEdit
- November - James Monroe defeats Rufus King in U.S. presidential election.
- December 11 - Indiana is admitted as the 19th U.S. state.
- Tsultrim Gyatso becomes the 10th Dalai Lama.
- The British found Banjul.
- A British expedition explores up from the mouth of the Congo River.
- In France, René Laennec (1781-1826) invents the stethoscope.
- First known cultivation of the cranberry.
- Alexander D. Campbell and Francis W. Ellis first describe the Dravidian languages.
- The Second Bank of the United States is founded.
- E. Remington and Sons is founded.
- Buffalo is incorporated.
- Beau Brummell flees England to escape gambling debts.
- Large-scale slave insurrection in Barbados - one white and 176 slaves killed and 214 executed afterwards
- Divorce annulled in France
- The Senate of Finland is established
- Aleksandrów Łódzki founded by Rafał Bratoszewski
|Gregorian calendar|| 1816 |
|Ab urbe condita||2569|
|Armenian calendar|| 1265 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-28 – -27|
|Coptic calendar||1532 – 1533|
|Ethiopian calendar||1808 – 1809|
|Hebrew calendar||5576 – 5577|
|- Vikram Samvat||1871 – 1872|
|- Shaka Samvat||1738 – 1739|
|- Kali Yuga||4917 – 4918|
|Iranian calendar||1194 – 1195|
|Islamic calendar||1231 – 1232|
|Japanese calendar|| Bunka
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2476|
|Thai solar calendar||2359|
January - JuneEdit
- March 14 - William Marsh Rice, American university founder (d. 1900)
- April 21 - Charlotte Brontë, British novelist (d. 1855)
- April 22 - Charles Denis Bourbaki, French general (d. 1897)
- April 25 - Eliza Daniel Stewart, American temperance movement leader (d. ?)
- May 24 - Emanuel Leutze, American painter (d. 1868)
- June 19 - William Henry Webb, American industrialist and philanthropist (d. 1899)
- June 30 - Richard Lindon, Inventor of the Rugby Ball, the India-rubber inflatable bladder, the Brass Hand Pump for the same (d. 1887)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 4 - Arthur de Gobineau, French diplomat and author (d. 1882)
- July 23 - Charlotte Cushman, American stage actress (d. 1876)
- July 31 - George Henry Thomas, American general (d. 1870)
- August 4 - William Julian Albert, U.S. Congressman (d. 1879)
- August 16 - Charles John Vaughan, English scholar (d. 1897)
- November 17 - August Wilhelm Ambros, Austrian composer (d. 1876)
- December 13 - Werner von Siemens, German inventor and industrialist (d. 1892)
- date unknown - Francis Dutton, Premier of South Australia (d. 1877)
- See also 1816 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 27 - Samuel Hood, British admiral (b. 1724)
- February 6 - Maria Ludwika Rzewuska, Polish szlachcianka (b. 1744)
- February 22 - Adam Ferguson, Scottish philosopher and historian (b. 1723)
- March 20 - Queen Maria I of Portugal (b. 1734)
- June 5 - Giovanni Paisiello, Italian composer (b. 1751)
- June 12 - Pierre Augereau, Marshal of France and duc de Castiglione (b. 1757)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 5 - Dorothy Jordan, Irish actress, mistress of King William IV of the United Kingdom (b. 1761)
- July 7 - Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Irish playwright (b. 1751)
- September 27 - Edward Charles Howard, British chemist and chemical engineer (b. 1774)
- November 8 - Gouverneur Morris, American statesman (b. 1752)
- December 15 - Charles Stanhope, English statesman and scientist (b. 1753)
- December 30 - Louis Henri Loison, French general (b. 1771)
- December 5 - sinterklaas, saint (b. 0)
People of the year 1816 at Familypedia
143 people were born in 1816
90 children were born to the 46 women born in 1816
79 people died in 1816
6538 people lived in 1816
Events of the year 1816 at FamilypediaEdit
106 people were married in 1816.
There were 0 military battles in 1816.
- See also 1816 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1816. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|