Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1780s 1790s 1800s - 1810s - 1820s 1830s 1840s
|Years:||1816 1817 1818 - 1819 - 1820 1821 1822|
|1819 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1819 (MDCCCXIX) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) in the Gregorian Calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1819Edit
January - MarchEdit
- January 17 - Simón Bolívar proclaims the Republic of Gran Colombia.
- January 29 - Sir Stamford Raffles lands on the island of Singapore.
- February 6 - Formal treaty between Hussein Shah of Johor and the British Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles establishes a trading settlement in Singapore.
- February 15 - The United States House of Representatives agrees to the Tallmadge Amendment barring slaves from the new state of Missouri, the opening vote in a controversy that leads to the Missouri Compromise.
- February 22 - Spain cedes Florida to the United States. (see Adams-Onís Treaty)
- March 1 - U.S. naval vessel USS Columbus is launched in Washington, DC.
- March 20 – Burlington Arcade opened in London.
April - JuneEdit
- May 22 - The SS Savannah leaves port at Savannah on a voyage to become the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. The ship will arrive at Liverpool on June 20.
- May 31 - Walt Whitman is born in Long Island, New York
July - SeptemberEdit
- August 6 - Norwich University founded by Captain Alden Partridge in Vermont as the first private military school in the United States.
- August 7 - Simón Bolívar is victorious in the Battle of Boyacá in Colombia.
- August 16 - Peterloo Massacre in St. Peter's Field, Manchester, UK. Cavalry charge into a crowd of protesters results in 11 deaths and over 400 injuries.
October - DecemberEdit
- Panic of 1819 - first major financial crisis in the United States
- 'Ai Noa in Hawaii.
- French paradox first identified.
- Physician Dr. Thomas Sewall convicted on multiple counts of grave robbing in Massachusetts.
- McCulloch v. Maryland case.
- Dartmouth College v. Woodward case.
- Serfdom is abolished in Livonia.
- See also James Chandler's England in 1819.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1819 |
|Ab urbe condita||2572|
|Armenian calendar|| 1268 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-25 – -24|
|Coptic calendar||1535 – 1536|
|Ethiopian calendar||1811 – 1812|
|Hebrew calendar||5579 – 5580|
|- Vikram Samvat||1874 – 1875|
|- Shaka Samvat||1741 – 1742|
|- Kali Yuga||4920 – 4921|
|Iranian calendar||1197 – 1198|
|Islamic calendar||1234 – 1235|
|Japanese calendar|| Bunsei
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2479|
|Thai solar calendar||2362|
January - JuneEdit
- February 8 - John Ruskin, English writer, artist, and social critic (d. 1900)
- February 11 - Samuel Parkman Tuckerman, American composer (d. 1890)
- February 14 - Joshua A. Norton, self-proclaimed "Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico" (d. 1880)
- February 20 - Alfred Escher, Swiss politician, railroad entrepreneur (d. 1882)
- February 22 - James Russell Lowell, American poet and essayist (d. 1891)
- March 3 - Gustave de Molinari, Belgian economist (d. 1912)
- March 31 - Prince Chlodwig zu Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1901)
- April 4 - Queen Maria II of Portugal (d. 1853)
- April 9 - Annibale de Gasparis, Italian astronomer (d. 1892)
- April 11 - Charles Hallé, German pianist and conductor (d. 1895)
- April 18 - Franz von Suppé, Austrian composer (d. 1895)
- April 28 - Ezra Abbot, American Biblical scholar (d. 1884)
- May 5 - Stanisław Moniuszko, Polish composer (d. 1872)
- May 24 - Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (d. 1901)
- May 27 - Julia Ward Howe, American abolitionist and poet (d. 1910)
- May 31 - Walt Whitman, American poet (d. 1892)
- June 5 - John Couch Adams, English astronomer (d. 1892)
- June 10 - Gustave Courbet, French painter (d. 1877)
- June 20 - Jacques Offenbach, German-born composer (d. 1880)
- June 29 - Nicolae Bălcescu, Wallachian revolutionary (d. 1852)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 19 - Gottfried Keller, Swiss writer (d. 1890)
- August 1
- August 13 - Sir George Gabriel Stokes, Irish mathematician and physicist (d. 1903)
- August 25 - Allan Pinkerton, American detective (d. 1884)
- August 26 - Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Prince Consort to Queen Victoria (d. 1861)
- September 7 - Thomas Hendricks, Vice President of the United States (d. 1885)
- September 13 - Clara Schumann, German composer and pianist (d. 1896)
- September 22 - Wilhelm Wattenbach, German historian (d. 1897)
- October 16 - Austin F. Pike, American politician from New Hampshire (d. 1886)
- October 20 - The Báb, Persian founder of the Bábi Faith and the first of the three Central Figures of the Bahá'í Faith (d. 1850)
- November 22 - George Eliot, British novelist (d. 1880)
- December 30 - Theodor Fontane, German writer (d. 1898)
- Felice Orsini, Italian revolutionary (d. 1858)
- See also 1819 births.
January - JuneEdit
- February 17 - Henry Constantine Jennings, British collector and gambler (b. 1731)
- February 25 - Francisco Manoel de Nascimento, poet (b. 1734)
- May 8 - Kamehameha I, King of Hawaii (b. unknown)
- May 22 - Hugh Williamson, American Founding Father (b. 1735)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 1 - Jemima Wilkinson, American preacher (b. 1754)
- August 21 - Haim Farkhi, Jewish adviser to Ottoman Empire (assassinated) (b. 1760)
- August 23 - Oliver Hazard Perry, American naval officer (b. 1785)
- August 25 - James Watt, Scottish inventor (b. 1736)
- September 12 - Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, Prussian general (b. 1742)
- September 20 - Abbé Faria, hypnotist (b. 1746)
- December 5 - Friedrich Leopold Graf zu Stolberg, German poet (b. 1750)
- December 19 - Sir Thomas Fremantle, English naval officer and politician (b. 1765)
People of the year 1819 at Familypedia
177 people were born in 1819
130 children were born to the 75 women born in 1819
59 people died in 1819
6522 people lived in 1819
Events of the year 1819 at FamilypediaEdit
107 people were married in 1819.
There were 0 military battles in 1819.
- See also 1819 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1819. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|