|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1790s 1800s 1810s - 1820s - 1830s 1840s 1850s
|Years:||1820 1821 1822 - 1823 - 1824 1825 1826|
|1823 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1823 (MDCCCXXIII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian Calendar (or a common year starting on Monday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1823Edit
January - MarchEdit
April - JuneEdit
- April 13 - Eleven-year-old Franz Liszt gives a concert after which he is personally congratulated by Ludwig van Beethoven.
July - SeptemberEdit
- July 15 - Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls in Rome almost completely destroyed by fire
- September 10 - Simón Bolívar named President of Peru
- September 22 - Joseph Smith, says that he was directed by God through the angel Moroni to the place where the Golden plates are stored.
- September 28 - Pope Leo XII succeeds Pope Pius VII as the 252nd pope.
October - DecemberEdit
- November 15 - Chief Lone Horn, succeeds (probably) his father, and becomes chief of the Minneconjou Sioux; he will be chief until his death on 16 october1875.
- December 2 - Monroe Doctrine: USA separates the spheres of influence between Europe and the Americas.
- Ferdinand VII revokes the Spanish Constitution of 1812 and restores absolute monarchy (See also Mid-nineteenth century Spain)
- The Olbers' paradox is described by the German astronomer Heinrich Wilhelm Olbers.
- Jackson Male Academy, precursor of Union University, is founded in Tennessee.
- The Oxford Union is founded.
- William Webb Ellis credited with the birth of Rugby Union
|Gregorian calendar|| 1823 |
|Ab urbe condita||2576|
|Armenian calendar|| 1272 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-21 – -20|
|Coptic calendar||1539 – 1540|
|Ethiopian calendar||1815 – 1816|
|Hebrew calendar||5583 – 5584|
|- Vikram Samvat||1878 – 1879|
|- Shaka Samvat||1745 – 1746|
|- Kali Yuga||4924 – 4925|
|Iranian calendar||1201 – 1202|
|Islamic calendar||1238 – 1239|
|Japanese calendar|| Bunsei
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2483|
|Thai solar calendar||2366|
January - JuneEdit
- January 1 - Sándor Petőfi, Hungarian poet and revolutionary (d. 1849)
- January 8 - Alfred Russel Wallace, British naturalist and biologist (d. 1913)
- January 27 - Edouard Lalo, French composer (d. 1892)
- February 27 - Ernest Renan, French philosopher and writer (d. 1892)
- March 14 - Théodore de Banville, French writer (d. 1891)
- March 20 - Ned Buntline, American publisher, writer, and publicist (d. 1886)
- March 23 - Schuyler Colfax, Vice President of the United States (d. 1885)
- April 3 - William Marcy Tweed, American political boss (d. 1878)
- April 23 - Abd-ul-Mejid, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1861)
- May 22 - Solomon Bundy, American politician (d. 1889)
- June 21 - Jean Chacornac, French astronomer (d. 1873)
July - DecemberEdit
- August 10 - Hugh Stowell Brown, Manx preacher (d.1886)
- August 13 - Goldwin Smith, English historian (d. 1910)
- December 6 - Friedrich Max Müller, German Orientalist (d. 1900)
- James Black, American temperance movement leader (d 1893)
- See also 1823 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 21 - Gideon Olin, US politician (b. 1743)
- January 26 - Edward Jenner, English physician and medical researcher (b. 1749)
- February 7 - Ann Radcliffe, English writer (b. 1764)
- March 1 - Pierre-Jean Garat, opera singer (b. 1764)
- March 14
- March 18 - Jean-Baptiste Breval, French cellist (b. 1753)
- June 1 - Louis Nicolas Davout, French marshal (b. 1770)
July - DecemberEdit
- August 20 - Pope Pius VII (b. 1740)
- August 22 - Lazare Carnot, French general, politician, and mathematician (b. 1753)
- September 11 - David Ricardo, English economist (b. 1772)
- September 23 - Matthew Baillie, Scottish physician and pathologist (b. 1761)
- November 9 - Vasily Kapnist, poet and dramatist (b. 1758)
- See also 1823 deaths.
People of the year 1823 at Familypedia
143 people were born in 1823
69 children were born to the 50 women born in 1823
72 people died in 1823
7011 people lived in 1823
Events of the year 1823 at FamilypediaEdit
123 people were married in 1823.
There were 0 military battles in 1823.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1823. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|