Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1790s 1800s 1810s - 1820s - 1830s 1840s 1850s
|Years:||1823 1824 1825 - 1826 - 1827 1828 1829|
|1826 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
- For the game, see: 1826.
Events of 1826Edit
January - MarchEdit
- January 30 - The Menai Suspension Bridge, built by engineer Thomas Telford, is opened between the island of Anglesey and the mainland of Wales.
- February 8 - Argentina. Unitarian Bernardino Rivadavia becomes the first President of the country.
- February 11 - University College London is founded, under the name University of London.
- February 13 - American Temperance Society founded.
April - JuneEdit
- April 1 - Samuel Morey patents the internal combustion engine.
- May 28 - Pedro I of Brazil abdicates as King of Portugal.
- June - Photography: Nicéphore Niépce makes a true photograph.
- June 14-15 – The Auspicious Incident: Mahmud II, sultan of Ottoman Empire, crushes the last mutiny of janissaries in Istanbul.
- June 22 - the Pan-American Congress of Panama tries (unsuccessfully) to unify American republics.
July - SeptemberEdit
- Early July - Ludwig van Beethoven put the finishing touches on the String Quartet in C sharp Minor, Opus 131, the jewel in the crown of his late string quartets.
- July 4 - both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams died.
- July 26 - Last auto de fe.
October - DecemberEdit
- First railway tunnel built in route between Liverpool and Manchester in England
- Cholera epidemic begins in India
- The British crown colony of the Straits Settlements is established.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1826 |
|Ab urbe condita||2579|
|Armenian calendar|| 1275 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-18 – -17|
|Coptic calendar||1542 – 1543|
|Ethiopian calendar||1818 – 1819|
|Hebrew calendar||5586 – 5587|
|- Vikram Samvat||1881 – 1882|
|- Shaka Samvat||1748 – 1749|
|- Kali Yuga||4927 – 4928|
|Iranian calendar||1204 – 1205|
|Islamic calendar||1241 – 1242|
|Japanese calendar|| Bunsei
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2486|
|Thai solar calendar||2369|
January - JuneEdit
- January 12 - William Chapman Ralston, banker and financier (d. 1875)
- January 26 - Louis Favre, Swiss engineer (d. 1879)
- January 27
- February 16
- March 4 - Theodore Judah, railroad engineer (d. 1863)
- March 24 - Matilda Joslyn Gage, pioneering feminist (d. 1898)
- March 29 - Wilhelm Liebknecht, German journalist and politician (d. 1900)
- April 6 - Gustave Moreau, French painter (d. 1898)
- April 26 - George Hull Ward, American general (d. 1863)
- May 3 - King Charles XV of Sweden and Norway (d. 1872)
- May 4 - Frederic Edwin Church, American painter (d. 1900)
- June 24 - George Goyder, surveyor-general of South Australia (d. 1898)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 4
- September 17 - Bernhard Riemann, German mathematician (d. 1866)
- November 13 - Charles Frederick Worth, English couturier (d. 1895)
- November 24 - Carlo Collodi, Italian writer (d. 1890)
- date unknown - William Daniel, American temperance movement leader (d. 1897)
- See also 1826 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 3 - Louis Gabriel Suchet, French marshal (b. 1770)
- January 17 - Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga, Spanish composer (b. 1806)
- March 29 - Johann Heinrich Voß, German poet (b. 1751)
- May 16 - Elisabeth Alexeievna, Empress Consort of Russian Emperor Alexander I (b. 1779)
- June 5 - Carl Maria von Weber, German composer (b. 1786)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 4
- July 5 - Stamford Raffles, British colonial governor and founder of Singapore (b. 1781)
- July 8 - Luther Martin, delegate to the American Constitutional Convention (b. 1746)
- July 22 - Giuseppe Piazzi, Italian astronomer (b. 1746)
- November 23 - Johann Elert Bode, German astronomer (b. 1747)
People of the year 1826 at Familypedia
164 people were born in 1826
83 children were born to the 71 women born in 1826
81 people died in 1826
7093 people lived in 1826
Events of the year 1826 at FamilypediaEdit
107 people were married in 1826.
There were 0 military battles in 1826.
- See also 1826 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1826. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|