Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1800s 1810s 1820s - 1830s - 1840s 1850s 1860s
|Years:||1828 1829 1830 - 1831 - 1832 1833 1834|
|1831 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1831 (MDCCCXXXI) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian Calendar (or a common year starting on Thursday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1831Edit
January - MarchEdit
- February-March - Revolts in Modena, Parma and the Papal States are put down by Austrian troops.
- February 2 - Pope Gregory XVI succeeds Pope Pius VIII as the 254th pope.
- February 14 - Ras Marye of Yejju marches into Tigray and defeats and kills the warlord Sabagadis in the Battle of Debre Abbay.
- February 20 - Battle of Grochow. Polish rebel forces divide a Russian army.
- March 10 - French Foreign Legion founded.
- March 29 - The Great Bosnian uprising
April - JuneEdit
- April 7 - Pedro I of Brazil abdicates as emperor of Brazil in favor of his son Pedro II of Brazil.
- May 26 - Battle of Ostroleka. The Poles fight another indecisive battle.
July - SeptemberEdit
- July 21 - Inauguration of Léopold I of Belgium, first king of the Belgians.
- August 2 - Dutch invasion of Belgium. It is repelled by a French army (ten-day campaign).
- August 21 - USA: Outbreak of Nat Turner's slave rebellion in Southampton County.
- September 6-8 - Battle of Warsaw - The Russians take the Polish capital and crush resistance.
October - DecemberEdit
- November 7 - Slave trading is forbidden in Brazil.
- December 27 - Charles Darwin embarks on his historic journey aboard the HMS Beagle.
- December 31 - Gramercy Park is deeded to New York City.
- The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper is first published.
- Cholera in Hamburg.
- Wesleyan University in Middletown is founded.
- Xavier University in Cincinnati is founded as "The Athenaeum"
- Naser ad-Din Qajar, King of Herat (d. 1896)
|Gregorian calendar|| 1831 |
|Ab urbe condita||2584|
|Armenian calendar|| 1280 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-13 – -12|
|Coptic calendar||1547 – 1548|
|Ethiopian calendar||1823 – 1824|
|Hebrew calendar||5591 – 5592|
|- Vikram Samvat||1886 – 1887|
|- Shaka Samvat||1753 – 1754|
|- Kali Yuga||4932 – 4933|
|Iranian calendar||1209 – 1210|
|Islamic calendar||1246 – 1247|
|Japanese calendar|| Tenpō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2491|
|Thai solar calendar||2374|
January - JuneEdit
- January 7 - Heinrich von Stephan, German postal union organizer (d. 1897)
- February 24 - Leo von Caprivi, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1899)
- March 3 - George Pullman, American inventor and industrialist (d. 1897)
- March 12 - Clement Studebaker, American automobile pioneer (d. 1901)
- March 20 - Solomon L. Spink, U.S. Congressman from Illinois (d. 1881)
- June 1 - John Bell Hood, American Confederate general (d. 1879)
- June 13 - James Clerk Maxwell, Scottish physicist (d. 1879)
- June 28 - Joseph Joachim, Austrian violinist (d. 1907)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 22 - Emperor Kōmei of Japan (d. 1867)
- 12 August - Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, Russian-born author and theosophist (d. 1891)
- September 18 - Siegfried Marcus, German-born automobile pioneer (d. 1898)
- October 6 - Richard Dedekind, German mathematician (d. 1916)
- October 18 - Emperor Frederick III of Germany (d. 1888)
- October 31 - Romualdo Pacheco, Governor of California (d. 1899)
- See also 1831 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 21 - Achim von Arnim, German poet (b. 1781)
- February 14 - Vincente Guerrero, Mexican revolutionary leader (b. 1782)
- February 14 - Marye of Yejju, Ethiopian Ras
- February 14 - Sabagadis, Ethiopian warlord
- February 17 - Friedrich Wilhelm (b. 1785)
- February 25 - Friedrich Maximilian Klinger, German writer (b. 1752)
- April 5 - Dmitry Senyavin, Russian admiral (b. 1763)
- April 20 - John Abernethy (b. 1764)
- April 27 - Charles Felix of Savoy, King of Sardinia (b. 1765)
- June 27 - Sophie Germain, French mathematician (b. 1776)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 4 - James Monroe, 5th President of the United States (b. 1758)
- July 16 - Louis Alexandre Andrault de Langeron, Russian general (b. 1763)
- July 26 - Rodney S. Phillips, American writer (b. 1810)
- August 24 - August von Gneisenau, Prussian field marshal (b. 1760)
- November 11 - Nat Turner, American slave rebel (b. 1800)
- November 14 - Georg Hegel, German philosopher (b. 1770)
- November 16 - Carl von Clausewitz, German military strategist (b. 1780)
People of the year 1831 at Familypedia
163 people were born in 1831
85 children were born to the 74 women born in 1831
87 people died in 1831
7476 people lived in 1831
Events of the year 1831 at FamilypediaEdit
108 people were married in 1831.
There were 0 military battles in 1831.
- See also 1831 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1831. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|