Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1800s 1810s 1820s - 1830s - 1840s 1850s 1860s
|Years:||1834 1835 1836 - 1837 - 1838 1839 1840|
|1837 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1837 (MDCCCXXXVII) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian Calendar (or a common year starting on Friday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1837Edit
January - MarchEdit
- January 26 - Michigan is the 26th state admitted to the United States of America.
- February 4 - Seminoles attack Fort Foster.
- February 7 - God speaks to Florence Nightingale, according to her account.
- February 25 - In Philadelphia, The Institute for Colored Youth (ICY) was founded as the first institution for higher education of Blacks.
- March 4 - Martin Van Buren succeeds Andrew Jackson as the President of the United States.
- March 4 - City of Chicago, Illinois is incorporated.
April - JuneEdit
- June 5 - City of Houston is incorporated by the Republic of Texas.
- June 11 - The Broad Street Riot occurred in Boston, fueled by racial tensions between Irish-Americans and English-Americans.
July - SeptemberEdit
- July 29 - Spanish government auctions the church property.
- August 16 - Dutch sack of the fortress of Bonjol, ending the Padri War.
October - DecemberEdit
- November 7 - American abolitionist and newspaper editor Elijah Lovejoy is killed by a pro-slavery mob.
- November 8 - Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, later Mount Holyoke College, was founded in South Hadley, Massachusetts.
- December 4 - William Lyon Mackenzie, a radical reformer in Upper Canada (Ontario), leads a futile and short-lived rebellion against the colonial legislature.
- In the Canadas, William Lyon Mackenzie leads the Upper Canada Rebellion and Louis-Joseph Papineau leads the Lower Canada Rebellion.
- At Le Mans, France, Father Basil Moreau, CSC founds the Congregation of Holy Cross by joining the Brothers of St. Joseph and the Auxiliary Priests of Le Mans.
- Louis Daguerre develops daguerreotype.
- Samuel Morse patents telegraph.
- In the Morrison Incident, the American merchant ship Morrison was turned away from Japanese ports with cannon fire.
- Charles Dickens's Oliver Twist begins appearing in print in serialized form. It will later be published as a book.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1837 |
|Ab urbe condita||2590|
|Armenian calendar|| 1286 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-7 – -6|
|Coptic calendar||1553 – 1554|
|Ethiopian calendar||1829 – 1830|
|Hebrew calendar||5597 – 5598|
|- Vikram Samvat||1892 – 1893|
|- Shaka Samvat||1759 – 1760|
|- Kali Yuga||4938 – 4939|
|Iranian calendar||1215 – 1216|
|Islamic calendar||1252 – 1253|
|Japanese calendar|| Tenpō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2497|
|Thai solar calendar||2380|
January - JuneEdit
- January 2 - Mily Balakirev, Russian composer (d. 1910)
- February 5 - Dwight L. Moody, American evangelist (d. 1899)
- March 1 - William Dean Howells, American writer, historian, editor, and politician (d. 1920)
- March 7 - Henry Draper, American physician and astronomer (d. 1882)
- March 18 - Grover Cleveland, President of the United States (d. 1908)
- March 23 - Charles Wyndham, English actor and theatrical manager (d. 1919)
- April 5 - Algernon Charles Swinburne, English poet (d. 1909)
- April 17 - John Pierpont Morgan, American financier and banker (d. 1913)
- April 21 - Fredrik Bajer, Danish politician and pacifist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1922)
- May 9 - Adam Opel, German engineer and industrialist (d. 1895)
- May 27 - Wild Bill Hickok, American gunfighter (d. 1876)
- May 28 - George Ashlin, Irish Architect (d. 1921)
- June 22 - Paul Morphy, American chess player (d. 1884)
- June 22 - Paul Bachmann, German mathematician (d. 1920)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 4 - Carolus-Duran, French painter (d. 1917)
- July 18 - Vasil Levski, Bulgarian revolutionary (d. 1873)
- August 24 - Théodore Dubois, French composer (d. 1924)
- September 14 - Nikolai Bugaev, prominent Russian mathematician (d.1903)
- September 16 - King Pedro V of Portugal (d. 1861)
- September 18 - Aires de Ornelas e Vasconcelos, (Portuguese) Archbishop of Goa (d. 1880)
- October 29 - African-American folk artist Harriet Powers, now nationally recognized for her quilts (d. 1910)
- November 2 - Émile Bayard, French artist, illustrator (d. 1891)
- November 14 - Lucas Barrett, English naturalist (d. 1862)
- November 23 - Johannes Diderik van der Waals, Dutch physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1923)
- December 26 - George Dewey, U.S. naval officer (d. 1917)
- Sarah Lockwood Pardee, American builder of the Winchester Mystery House (d. 1922)
- Tadeusz Żychiewicz, Polish activist, pułkownik (d. after 1901)
- See also 1837 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 20 - John Soane, British architect (b. 1753)
- January 23 - John Field, Irish composer (b. 1782)
- February 7 - Gustav IV Adolf, ex-King of Sweden (b. 1778)
- February 10 - Alexander Pushkin, Russian author (b. 1799)
- February 19, Georg Büchner, German playwright (b. 1813)
- March 31 - John Constable, English painter (b. 1776)
- April 28 - Joseph Souham, French general (b. 1760)
- June 14 - Giacomo Leopardi, Italian writer (b. 1798)
- June 20 - King William IV of the United Kingdom (b. 1765)
July - DecemberEdit
- October 1 - Robert Clark, American politician (b. 1777)
- October 5 - Hortense de Beauharnais, Queen of Holland and mother of Napoleon III of France (b. 1783)
- November 7 - Elijah P. Lovejoy, American abolitionist (b. 1809)
- December 13 - Saint Herman of Alaska
People of the year 1837 at Familypedia
180 people were born in 1837
97 children were born to the 73 women born in 1837
95 people died in 1837
8023 people lived in 1837
Events of the year 1837 at FamilypediaEdit
129 people were married in 1837.
There were 0 military battles in 1837.
- See also 1837 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1837. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|