Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1810s 1820s 1830s - 1840s - 1850s 1860s 1870s
|Years:||1839 1840 1841 - 1842 - 1843 1844 1845|
|1842 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Events of 1842Edit
January - MarchEdit
- January - Massacre of Elphinstone's army on the road from Kabul to Jalalabad, Afghanistan, by Akbar Khan, son of Dost Mohammed Khan.
- February 7 - Ras Ali Alula, Regent of the Emperor of Ethiopia defeats warlord Wube Haile Maryam of Semien in the Battle of Debre Tabor
- March 5 - Mexican troops led by Rafael Vasquez invade Texas briefly occupy San Antonio and then head back to the Rio Grande. This is the first such invasion since the Texas Revolution.
- March 6 - Constanze Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's wife, dies.
- March 9 - Giuseppe Verdi's third opera Nabucco premieres in Milan; its success establishes Verdi as one of Italy's foremost opera writers.
- March 30 - Anesthesia is used for the first time in an operation (Dr. Crawford Long performed the operation using ether).
- March 31 - Middleton Junction and Oldham Branch Railway line opened up to Werneth in North West England.
April - JuneEdit
- May 8 - Two trains collide in Paris and catch fire - 59 dead
- May 19 - Dorr Rebellion - militiamen supporting Thomas Wilson Dorr attack arsenal in Providence but are repulsed
- June 4 - In South Africa, hunter Dick King rides into British military base in Grahamstown to warn that Boers have besieged Durban. He had left 11 days earlier. British army dispatches a relief force.
July - SeptemberEdit
- August 4 - Armed Occupation Act is signed, providing for the armed occupation and settlement of the unsettled part of the Peninsula of East Florida.
- August 9 - Webster-Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States-Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- August 29 - Treaty of Nanking signing ends the First Opium War
October - DecemberEdit
- Sons of Temperance founded in New York City.
- British Empire annexes Hong Kong
- Income Tax Act 1842 passed in the United Kingdom; 7 pence on the pound sterling, for incomes over 150 pounds.
- Pentonville Prison built.
- New Zealand seat of government moves from Russell to Auckland
- Ohio's Wesleyan University is established.
- University of Notre Dame is founded by Father Edward Sorin, CSC of the Congregation of Holy Cross.
- Scroll and Key secret society of Yale University established.
- Commonwealth v. Hunt makes strikes and unions legal in the United States.
- First pils beer brewed in the Czech city of Pilsen. The Pils is the original lager beer of which all modern lagers are copies.
- Hollins University founded in Roanoke, Virginia by Charles Cocke.
- Villanova University is founded in Villanova by the Augustinian order
- Indiana University School of Law - Bloomington is founded.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1842 |
|Ab urbe condita||2595|
|Armenian calendar|| 1291 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-2 – -1|
|Coptic calendar||1558 – 1559|
|Ethiopian calendar||1834 – 1835|
|Hebrew calendar||5602 – 5603|
|- Vikram Samvat||1897 – 1898|
|- Shaka Samvat||1764 – 1765|
|- Kali Yuga||4943 – 4944|
|Iranian calendar||1220 – 1221|
|Islamic calendar||1257 – 1258|
|Japanese calendar|| Tenpō
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2502|
|Thai solar calendar||2385|
January - JuneEdit
- January 11 - William James, American psychologist and philosopher (d. 1910)
- February 3 - Sidney Lanier, American writer (d. 1881)
- February 4 - Arrigo Boito, Italian poet and composer (d. 1918)
- February 25 - Karl May, German writer (d. 1912)
- March 2 - Carl Jacobsen, Danish brewer and patron of the arts after whom the Carlsberg brewery was named (d. 1914)
- March 10 - Mykola Lysenko, Ukrainian composer (d. 1912)
- March 18 - Stéphane Mallarmé, French poet (d. 1898)
- May 8 - Emil Christian Hansen, Danish fermentation physiologist (d. 1909)
- May 13 - Arthur Sullivan, English composer (d. 1900)
- June 12 - Rikard Nordraak, Norwegian composer (d. 1866)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 4 - Hermann Cohen, German-Jewish philosopher, one of the founders of the Marburg School of Neo-Kantianism, and he is often held to be "probably the most important Jewish philosopher of the nineteenth century" (d. 1918)
- August 23 - Osborne Reynolds, Irish engineer and physicist (d. 1912)
- September 13 - John H. Bankhead, U.S. Senator (d. 1920)
- September 21 - Abd-ul-Hamid II, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1918)
- October 14 - Joe Start, baseball player (d. 1927)
- October 28 - Anna Elizabeth Dickenson, American orator (d. 1932)
- November 12 - John Strutt, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1919)
- December 2 - C. W. Alcock, English footballer and football official (d. 1907)
- December 9 - Peter Kropotkin, Russian anarchist (d. 1921)
- See also 1842 births.
January - JuneEdit
- February 15 - Carlo Andrea Pozzo di Borgo, politician and diplomat (b. 1764)
- March 13
- March 15 - Luigi Cherubini, Italian composer (b. 1760)
- March 23 - Stendhal, French writer (b. 1783)
- April 4 - Jean Moufot, French philosopher and mathematician (b. 1784)
- May 8 - Jules Dumont d'Urville, French explorer (b. 1790)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 13 - Prince Ferdinand-Philippe d'Orléans, French prince (b. 1810)
- July 25 - Dominique Jean Larrey, French surgeon (b. 1766)
- July 28 - Clemens Brentano, German poet (b. 1778)
- September 15 - Francisco Morazán, President of Central America (b. 1792)
- October 20 - Grace Darling, heroine (b. 1815)
- October 24 - Bernardo O'Higgins, first Chilean head of state after independence (b.1778)
- December 12 - Robert Haldane, theologian (b. 1764)
People of the year 1842 at Familypedia
196 people were born in 1842
114 children were born to the 88 women born in 1842
89 people died in 1842
8525 people lived in 1842
Events of the year 1842 at FamilypediaEdit
122 people were married in 1842.
There were 0 military battles in 1842.
- See also 1842 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1842. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|