Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1820s 1830s 1840s - 1850s - 1860s 1870s 1880s
|Years:||1850 1851 1852 - 1853 - 1854 1855 1856|
|1853 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1853 (MDCCCLIII) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian Calendar (or a common year starting on Thursday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1853Edit
January - JuneEdit
- January 8 - Taiping Rebellion: Zeng Guofan is ordered to assist the governor of Hunan in organising a militia force to search for local bandits.
- January 12 - Taiping Rebellion: Taiping army occupies Wuchang.
- January 19 - Giuseppe Verdi's opera Il Trovatore premieres in performance at Teatro Apollo in Rome.
- February 10 - Taiping Rebellion: Taiping forces abandon Hanyang, Hankou and Wuchang for march of Nanjing.
- February 12 - Puerto Montt is founded in the Reloncaví Sound, Chile.
- February 22 - Washington University is founded as Eliot Seminary
- March 4 - Inauguration of US president Franklin Pierce
- March 20 - Taiping Rebellion: Rebel army of around 750,000 seizes Nanjing, killing 30,000 Imperial troops.
- May 13 - Taiping Rebellion: Taiping Northern Expeditionary Force marches out of the Heavenly Capital.
- May 20 - Taiping Rebellion: Taiping Western Expeditionary Force marches out of the Heavenly Capital.
- May 23 - The first plat for Seattle is laid out.
- June 27 - Taiping Rebellion: Northern Expeditionary Force crosses the Yellow River.
July - DecemberEdit
- July 8 - U.S. Commodore Matthew Perry arrives in Edo Bay with a request for a trade treaty
- July 25 Outlaw and bandit Joaquin Murietta is killed.
- August 12 – New Zealand acquires self-government
- August 23 - 1st true International Meteorological Organization Brussels, Belgium
- August 24 - Potato chips first prepared.
- September 19 - Hudson Taylor first left for China.
- October 4/October 5 - Crimean War: The Ottoman Empire declares war on Russia.
- October 28 - Crimean War: Ottoman army crosses the Danube into Vidin / Kalafat in Wallachia.
- October 30 - Taiping Rebellion: Taiping Northern Expeditionary Force comes within three miles of Tianjin.
- November 3 - Troops of William Walker capture La Paz in Baja California and declare (short-lived) Republic of Lower California
- November 15 - Maria II of Portugal is succeeded by her son Pedro
- November 30 - Crimean War: Battle of Sinop - The Russian fleet destroys the Turkish fleet.
- December 6 - Taiping Rebellion: French minister de Bourboulon arrives at the Heavenly Capital aboard the Cassini.
- December 30 - Gadsden Purchase: The United States buys land from Mexico to facilitate railroad building in the Southwest
- Royal Norwegian Navy Museum founded.
- Yellow fever kills 7,790 in New Orleans
- Alexander Wood invents the hypodermic syringe
- Donald McKay builds the Great Republic, the world's biggest sailing ship, which at 4,500 tons was too large to be successful
- Isambard Kingdom Brunel began work on the Great Eastern passenger steamer
- Independent Santa Cruz Maya of Eastern Yucatan recognized as an independent nation by British Empire
- Iesada succeeds Ieoshi as Japanese Shogun
- Beginning of the Late Tokugawa shogunate, the last part of the Edo period in Japan.
- Stephen Foster writes "My Old Kentucky Home."
- The University of Florida establilshed
- Swiss watch company Tissot founded.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1853 |
|Ab urbe condita||2606|
|Armenian calendar|| 1302 |
|Bahá'í calendar||9 – 10|
|Coptic calendar||1569 – 1570|
|Ethiopian calendar||1845 – 1846|
|Hebrew calendar||5613 – 5614|
|- Vikram Samvat||1908 – 1909|
|- Shaka Samvat||1775 – 1776|
|- Kali Yuga||4954 – 4955|
|Iranian calendar||1231 – 1232|
|Islamic calendar||1269 – 1270|
|Japanese calendar|| Kaei
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2513|
|Thai solar calendar||2396|
- January 28 - José Martí, Cuban revolutionary (d. 1895)
- February 6 - Ignacij Klemenčič, Slovenian physicist (d. 1901)
- March 14 - Ferdinand Hodler, Swiss painter (d. 1918)
- March 30 - Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter (d. 1890)
- May 28 - Carl Larsson, Swedish painter (d. 1919)
- June 3 - William Flinders Petrie, English Egyptologist (d. 1942)
- June 12 - Chester Adgate Congdon, Minnesota mining magnate (d. 1916)
- July 5 - Cecil Rhodes, English businessman (d. 1902)
- July 18 - Hendrik Lorentz, Dutch physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1928)
- September 2 - Wilhelm Ostwald, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1932)
- September 16 - Albrecht Kossel, German physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1927)
- September 20 - Chulalongkorn, Rama V, king of Thailand (d. 1910)
- September 21 - Heike Kamerlingh Onnes, Dutch physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1926)
- See also 1853 births.
- January 16 - Matteo Carcassi, Italian composer (b. 1792)
- March 17 - Christian Doppler, Austrian mathematician (b. 1803)
- April 18 - William R. King, Vice President of the United States (b.1786)
- April 28 - Ludwig Tieck, German writer (b. 1773)
- June 8 - Richard William Howard Vyse (b. 1784)
- July 27 - Tokugawa Ieyoshi, Japanese shogun (b.1793)
- August 19 - George Cockburn, British Naval commander (b.1772)
- August 23 - Alexander Calder, first mayor of Beaumont (b. 1806)
- September 3 - Augustin Saint-Hilaire, French botanist and traveller (b.1799)
- November 15 - Maria II of Portugal (b. 1819)
People of the year 1853 at Familypedia
188 people were born in 1853
57 children were born to the 80 women born in 1853
112 people died in 1853
9465 people lived in 1853
Events of the year 1853 at FamilypediaEdit
196 people were married in 1853.
There were 0 military battles in 1853.
- See also 1853 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1853. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|