|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:||1840s 1850s 1860s - 1870s - 1880s 1890s 1900s|
|Years:|| 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874|
1875 1876 1877 1878 1879
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - Architecture|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and TrendsEdit
- The invention of the telephone (1876) by Alexander Graham Bell.
- The light bulb was invented.
- The phonograph is invented in 1877 by Thomas Edison.
War, peace and politicsEdit
- Franco-Prussian War (1870–1871) results in the collapse of the Second French Empire and in the formation of both the French Third Republic and the German Empire
- Continuing expansion of the British Empire; beginning of the New Imperialism
- Bulgaria and Romania declare independence following war against the Ottoman Empire
- Passive resistance is used to prevent the confiscation of Māori land at Parihaka in New Zealand
- Emergence of German Empire and Alliance System
Literature and ArtsEdit
- In the United States, continuation of post-Civil War reconstruction until its conclusion under President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1877
- Jeanne Calment, born 1875, would eventually become the longest-living human being in recorded history. She lived until 1997, at the age of 122. She still holds the record as of 2007.
- Atlas Bear goes extinct.
- Emperor Franz Josef (Austria-Hungary)
- Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald (Canada)
- Prime Minister Alexander Mackenzie (Canada)
- Tongzhi Emperor (China)
- Guangxu Emperor (China)
- Emperor Wilhelm I (German Empire)
- Chancellor Otto von Bismarck (German Empire)
- King Victor Emmanuel II (Italy)
- King Umberto I (Italy)
- Emperor Meiji (Japan)
- Pope Pius IX
- Pope Leo XIII
- Emperor Alexander II (Russia)
- King Alfonso XII (Spain)
- Queen Victoria (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- President Ulysses S. Grant (United States)
- President Rutherford B. Hayes (United States)
- Nasser-al-Din Shah of Qajar dynasty (Persia)
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1870s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|