|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1850s 1860s 1870s - 1880s - 1890s 1900s 1910s
|Years:||1879 1880 1881 - 1882 - 1883 1884 1885|
|1882 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1882 (MDCCCLXXXII) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Friday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar). pyman died in 1944
- January 2 - John D. Rockefeller unites his oil holdings into the Standard Oil trust.
- February 2 - The Knights of Columbus are formed in New Haven.
- February 3 - P. T. Barnum purchases the elephant Jumbo.
- February 14 - Llanelli Conservative Association is founder of
- March 2 - Roderick Maclean fails to assassinate queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.
- March 22 - Polygamy is outlawed by the U.S. Congress.
- March 24 - Robert Koch announces the discovery of the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis).
- March 28 - Republican Jules Ferry makes primary education in France free, non-clerical (laique) and obligatory.
- March 29 - The Knights of Columbus are established.
- March - Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian claims to be the 'Reformer of Islam or Majaddid' of the 21st Century.
April - JuneEdit
- April 3 - Old West outlaw Jesse James is shot in the back and killed by Robert Ford for a $5,000 reward.
- April 19 - British naturalist Charles Darwin, the originator of the concept of natural selection, dies at his home, Down House in Kent, England, aged 73.
- May 2 - Charles Stewart Parnell is released.
- May 6
- May 20 - Triple Alliance between Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy.
- June 6
- June 11 - Urabi Revolt, Egypt. Popular revolt in Egypt against the Khedive and European influence in that country.
- June 30 - Assassin Charles Guiteau is hanged.
July - SeptemberEdit
- July 11 - British troops occupy Alexandria and the Suez Canal.
- July 26 - Boers establish the republic of Stellaland in southern Africa.
- July 31 - Foundation of the Hebrew Moshava of Rishon Le-Zion
- August 3 - The US Congress passed the 1882 Immigration Act.
- August 5 - Standard Oil of New Jersey is established.
- August 20 - Piotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" debuts in Moscow.
- September 5 - The first United States Labor Day parade is held in New York City.
- September 13 - British troops occupy Cairo, Egypt becomes British protectorate in the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War.
October - DecemberEdit
- October 5 - The Society for Ethical Culture of Chicago - (currently the Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago) founded by Felix Adler.
- October 7 - Glentoran F.C. played there very first game of Association Football against Mountavon at Ormeau Park, Belfast
- October 14 - University of the Punjab is founded in present day Pakistan.
- October 16 - The Nickel Plate Railroad opens for business.
- November 16 - Royal Navy HMS Flirt destroys Abari village in Niger.
- December 6 - Last transit of the planet Venus until 2004.
- Nikola Tesla conceives rotating magnetic field principle and uses it to invent the alternating current generator/motor.
- First International Polar Year, an international scientific program.
- Ferdinand von Lindemann publishes his proof of the transcendentality of pi.
- Married Women's Property Act 1882 in Britain enables women to buy, own and sell property and to keep their own earnings.
- Zulu king Cetshwayo returns to South Africa.
- Peace treaty is signed between Paraguay and Uruguay.
- The British Chartered Institute of Patent Agents is founded (now called Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys).
- Personal Liberty League is established to oppose temperance movement in United States.
- Carolyn Merrick is elected president of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union.
- St Andrew's Ambulance Association is established in Glasgow, Scotland.
- St. John Ambulance is established in Canada
- Waterloo Rugby Club is founded.
- Tottenham Hotspur F.C. is founded (as Hotspur F.C.)
- Albion Rovers F.C. were founded with the amalgamation of two Coatbridge clubs Albion and Rovers.
- Redruth Mining School is founded
- Queens Park Rangers F.C. is founded.
- Creation of Thames Ditton Lawn Tennis Club.
- Burnley F.C. are founded.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1882 |
|Ab urbe condita||2635|
|Armenian calendar|| 1331 |
|Bahá'í calendar||38 – 39|
|Coptic calendar||1598 – 1599|
|Ethiopian calendar||1874 – 1875|
|Hebrew calendar||5642 – 5643|
|- Vikram Samvat||1937 – 1938|
|- Shaka Samvat||1804 – 1805|
|- Kali Yuga||4983 – 4984|
|Iranian calendar||1260 – 1261|
|Islamic calendar||1299 – 1300|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiji
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2542|
|Thai solar calendar||2425|
January - JuneEdit
- January 6
- Fan S. Noli, Albanian poet and political figure (d. 1965)
- Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the United States House of Representatives (d. 1961)
- January 17 - Noah Beery, American actor (d. 1946)
- January 18 - A. A. Milne, British author (d. 1956)
- January 25 - Virginia Woolf, English writer (d. 1941)
- January 30 - Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States (d. 1945)
- February 1 - Louis Stephen St. Laurent, twelfth Prime Minister of Canada (d. 1973)
- February 2 - James Joyce, Irish author (d. 1941)
- February 4 - E. J. Pratt, Canadian poet born Newfoundland (d. 1964)
- February 15 - John Barrymore, American actor (d. 1942)
- February 22 - Eric Gill, British sculptor and writer (d. 1940)
- February 26 - Husband E. Kimmel, American admiral (d. 1968)
- February 28 - Geraldine Farrar, American soprano (d. 1967)
- March 6 - F. Burrall Hoffman, American architect (d. 1980)
- March 14 - Waclaw Sierpinski, Polish mathematician (d. 1969)
- March 15 - Jim Lightbody, American runner (d. 1953)
- March 18 - Gian Francesco Malipiero, Italian composer (d. 1973)
- March 23 - Emmy Noether, German mathematician (d. 1935)
- March 26 - Hermann Obrecht, Swiss Federal Councilor (d. 1940)
- April 4 - Kurt von Schleicher, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1934)
- April 17 - Artur Schnabel, Polish pianist (d. 1951)
- April 18
- April 19 - Getúlio Vargas, president of Brazil (d. 1954)
- April 21 - Percy Williams Bridgman, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1961)
- April 29 - H.N. Werkman, Dutch artist and printer (d. 1945)
- May 6 - Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany, heir of Kaiser Wilhelm II (d. 1951)
- May 9
- May 13 - Georges Braque, French painter (d. 1963)
- May 19 - Mohammed Mossadegh, Iranian prime minister (d. 1967)
- May 20 - Sigrid Undset, Norwegian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1949)
- May 30 - Wyndham Halswelle, British runner (d. 1915)
- June 9 - Bobby Kerr, Canadian sprinter (d. 1963)
- June 15 - Ion Antonescu, Romanian prime minister and dictator (d. 1946)
- June 17 - Igor Stravinsky, Russian composer (d. 1971)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 22 - Edward Hopper, American painter (d. 1967)
- August 14 - Gisela Richter, English art historian (d. 1972)
- August 17 - Samuel Goldwyn, Hollywood movie mogul (d. 1974)
- August 25 - Seán T. O'Kelly, second President of Ireland (d. 1966)
- August 26 - James Franck, German-born physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1964)
- September- Ma Rainey, blues singer (d. 19390
- September 13 - Ramón Grau, Cuban president (d. 1969)
- September 19 - Christopher Stone, first disc jockey in the United Kingdom (d. 1965)
- October 3 - A. Y. Jackson, Canadian painter (d. 1974)
- October 5 - Robert Goddard, American rocket scientist (d. 1945)
- October 6 - Karol Szymanowski, Polish composer (d. 1937)
- October 14 - Éamon de Valera, Taoiseach and third President of Ireland (d. 1975)
- October 14 - Charlie Parker, English cricketer (d. 1959)
- October 20 - Béla Lugosi, Hungarian born actor (d. 1956)
- October 25 - Florence Easton, English opera soprano (d. 1955)
- November 11 - King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden (d. 1973)
- November 15 - Felix Frankfurter, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court (d. 1965)
- December 9 - Joaquín Turina, Spanish composer (d. 1949)
- December 11
- December 16
- December 31 - Martin O'Meara, Australian soldier (d. 1935)
- See also 1882 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 7 - Ignacy Lukasiewicz, Polish pharmacist and inventor of the first method of distilling kerosene from seep oil, creator of first oil lamp (b. 1822)
- January 13 - Juraj Dobrila, Croatian bishop (b. 1812)
- February 6 - J. J. McCarthy, Irish architect (b. 1817)
- March 9 - Giovanni Lanza, politician (b. 1810)
- March 24 - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American author (b. 1807)
- April 3 - Jesse James, American Western outlaw (b. 1847)
- April 10 - Dante Gabriel Rossetti, English poet and painter (b. 1828)
- April 17 - George Jennings Sanitary engineer (b. 1801
- April 19 - Charles Darwin, British naturalist (b. 1809)
- April 27 - Ralph Waldo Emerson, American philosopher and writer (b. 1803)
- June 2 - Giuseppe Garibaldi, Italian patriot (b. 1807)
- June 3 - Christian Wilberg, German painter (b. 1839)
- June 25
July - DecemberEdit
- July 4 - Joseph Brackett, Shaker religious leader and composer (b. 1797)
- July 16 - Mary Todd Lincoln, First Lady of the United States (b. 1818)
- July 20 - Fanny Parnell, poet and founder of the Ladies' Land League (b. 1848)
- September 8 - Joseph Liouville, French mathematician (b. 1809)
- November 7 - Julius Hübner, painter (b. 1806)
- November 14 - Billy Claiborne, gunfighter (b. 1860)
- December 3 - Archibald Campbell Tait, Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1811)
- December 6
- December 18 - Henry James Sr., American theologian (b. 1811)
- December 21 - Francesco Hayez, painter (b. 1791)
- December 31 - Léon Gambetta, French statesman (b. 1838)
People of the year 1882 at Familypedia
172 people were born in 1882
45 children were born to the 81 women born in 1882
129 people died in 1882
11692 people lived in 1882
Events of the year 1882 at FamilypediaEdit
210 people were married in 1882.
There were 0 military battles in 1882.
- See also 1882 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1882. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|