Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1850s 1860s 1870s - 1880s - 1890s 1900s 1910s
|Years:||1883 1884 1885 - 1886 - 1887 1888 1889|
|1886 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Year 1886 (MDCCCLXXXVI) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1886Edit
January - MarchEdit
- January 1 - Burma was presented to Queen Victoria as a birthday gift, after the country was annexed into British India in November, 1885.
- January 18 - Modern field hockey is born with the formation of The Hockey Association in England.
- January 29 - Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- February 14 - First train load of oranges left Los Angeles via the transcontinental railroad.
- March - Linfield F.C. is formed in Belfast
- March 17 - Carrollton Massacre: 20 African Americans are killed in Mississippi.
- March 29 - Wilhelm Steinitz becomes first recognized World Chess Champion.
April - JuneEdit
- April 4 - William Ewart Gladstone introduces the First Irish Home Rule Bill in the British parliament. It was defeated on June 8.
- April 25 - Easter occurs on latest possible date (next in 1943).
- May 1 - A general strike begins in the United States which escalated into Haymarket Riot and eventually won the eight-hour workday in the U.S.
- May 4 - Emil Berliner started working on inventing the gramophone.
- May 8 - Pharmacist Dr. John Stith Pemberton invents a carbonated beverage that would be named "Coca-Cola."
- May 10
- 17th May - Motherwell Football Club formed
- May 29 - Chemist John Pemberton begins to advertise Coca-Cola (ad in the Atlanta Journal).
- June 2 - U.S. President Grover Cleveland marries Frances Folsom in the White House, becoming the first and only president to wed in the executive mansion. She is 27 years his junior.
- June 9 - Centennial celebration of the Stoughton Musical Society.
- June 10 - Eruption of Mount Tarawera volcano in New Zealand, resulting in the deaths of over 150 people and the destruction of the famous Pink and White Terraces.
- June 13 - A fire devastates much of Vancouver, British Columbia.
- June 30 - Royal Holloway opened by Queen Victoria in Surrey, United Kingdom.
July - SeptemberEdit
- July 9 - Charles Hall files a patent for his process of turning Aluminium Oxide into molten Aluminium.
- July 23 - Steve Brodie fakes a jump from the Brooklyn Bridge.
- August 20 - A massive hurricane demolishes the town of Indianola
- August 31 - Earthquake hits Charlestown, South Carolina USA. Probably between 7.3-7.6 on the Richter Scale. 40,000 left homeless.
- September 4 - Indian Wars: After almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo surrenders with his last band of warriors to General Nelson Miles at Skeleton Canyon in Arizona.
- September 15 - First day of school in the newly founded Alhambra School District.
- September 21 - William Stanley patents the first practical alternating current transformer device, the induction coil.
October - DecemberEdit
- October 7 - Spain abolishes slavery in Cuba.
- October 28 - In New York Harbor, US President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty.
- November 30 - Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- December 11 - Dial Square FC, a football club from Woolwich, London that will eventually become known as Arsenal FC, play their first match, a 6-0 win over Eastern Wanderers.
- Maidenhead Citadel Band of The Salvation Army is founded by William Thomas.
- Scotch whiskey distiller William Grant & Sons is founded.
- The village of Skorenovac is founded mostly by Székely Hungarians.
- An inexpensive method for refining aluminum, the Hall-Héroult process, is discovered.
- Father Augustine Tolton, the first Roman Catholic priest from the United States to proclaim himself African American, was ordained in Rome.
|Gregorian calendar|| 1886 |
|Ab urbe condita||2639|
|Armenian calendar|| 1335 |
|Bahá'í calendar||42 – 43|
|Coptic calendar||1602 – 1603|
|Ethiopian calendar||1878 – 1879|
|Hebrew calendar||5646 – 5647|
|- Vikram Samvat||1941 – 1942|
|- Shaka Samvat||1808 – 1809|
|- Kali Yuga||4987 – 4988|
|Iranian calendar||1264 – 1265|
|Islamic calendar||1303 – 1304|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiji
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2546|
|Thai solar calendar||2429|
January - JuneEdit
- January 2 - Florence Lawrence, Canadian-born actress (d. 1938)
- January 11 - Chester Conklin, American actor (d. 1971)
- January 14 - Hugh Lofting, English-born author (d. 1947)
- January 18 - Clara Nordström, German writer and translator (d. 1962)
- January 25 - Wilhelm Furtwängler, German conductor (d. 1954)
- February 8 - Charles Ruggles, American actor (d. 1970)
- February 27 - Hugo Black, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (d. 1971)
- March 1 - Oskar Kokoschka, Austrian artist and poet (d. 1980)
- March 2 - Willis O'Brien, stop motion animator (d. 1962)
- March 3 - Tore Ørjasæter, Norwegian poet (d. 1968)
- March 7 - Jacques Majorelle, French painter (d. 1962)
- March 8 - Edward Calvin Kendall, American chemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1972)
- March 11 - Edward Rydz-Śmigły, Polish politician, Marshal of Poland (d. 1941)
- March 15 - Sergei Kirov, Soviet revolutionary (d. 1934)
- March 18
- March 24 - Edward Weston, American photographer (d. 1958)
- March 25 - Patriarch Athenagoras of Constantinople (d. 1972)
- March 27 - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, German architect (d. 1969)
- April 14 - Ernst Robert Curtius, Alsatian philologist (d. 1956)
- April 15 - Tadeusz Kutrzeba, Polish general (d. 1947)
- April 25 - Marie Brémont, last surviving person documented as born in 1886 (d. 2001)
- April 26 - Ma Rainey, American singer (d. 1939)
- May 2 - Gottfried Benn, German poet (d. 1956)
- May 3 - Marcel Dupré, French composer (d. 1971)
- May 10
- May 17 - King Alfonso XIII of Spain (d. 1941)
- May 18 - Ture Nerman, Swedish communist leader (d. 1969)
- May 20 - John Jacob Astor, British businessman (d. 1971)
- May 26 - Al Jolson, American entertainer (d. 1950)
- June 7 - Henri Coandă, Romanian aerodynamics pioneer (d. 1972)
- June 18 - George Mallory, English climber (d. 1924)
- June 24 - George Shiels, Northern Irish dramatist (d. 1949)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 3 - Raymond A. Spruance, American admiral and ambassador (d. 1969)
- July 12 - Jean Hersholt, Danish-born actor (d. 1956)
- July 23 - Walter H. Schottky, German physicist (d. 1976)
- July 24 - Jun'ichirō Tanizaki, Japanese writer (d. 1965)
- July 25 - Bror von Blixen-Finecke, Danish big-game hunter (d. 1946)
- August 27
- September 4 - Albert Orsborn, the 6th General of The Salvation Army (d. 1967)
- September 13 - Robert Robinson, British chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1975)
- September 14 - Jan Masaryk, Foreign Minister of Czechoslovakia (d. 1948)
- September 16 - Jean Arp, Alsatian sculptor, painter, and poet (d. 1966)
- September 20 - Charles Williams, British author (d. 1945)
- September 24 - Roberto María Ortiz, President of Argentina (d. 1942)
- September 26 - Archibald Vivian Hill, English physiologist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1977)
- September 28 - Alice Hollister, American silent film actress. (d. 1973)
- October 6 - Edwin Fischer, Swiss pianist and conductor (d. 1960)
- October 16 - David Ben-Gurion, first Prime Minister of Israel (d. 1973)
- November 1 - Hermann Broch, Austrian author (d. 1951)
- November 9 - Ed Wynn, American actor (d. 1966)
- November 15 - René Guénon, French-Egyptian author (d. 1951)
- November 20 - Karl von Frisch, Austrian zoologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1982)
- December 3 - Manne Siegbahn, Swedish physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1978)
- December 5 - Rose Lane, née Wilder, American author and reporter and daughter of author Laura Ingalls Wilder (d. October 30, 1968)
- December 8 - Diego Rivera, Mexican painter (d. 1957)
- December 12 - Owen Moore, Irish actor (d. 1939)
- December 18 - Ty Cobb, Baseball Hall of Famer (d. 1961)
- December 25 - Kid Ory, American jazz musician (d. 1973)
- See also 1886 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 17 - Amilcare Ponchielli, Italian composer (b. 1834)
- January 26 - David Rice Atchison, American politician (b. 1807)
- February 18 - Dave Rudabaugh, American outlaw and gunfighter (b. 1854)
- February 24 - Hugh Stowell Brown, Manx preacher (b. 1823)
- March 17 - Pierre-Jules Hetzel, editor and publisher (b. 1814)
- May 9 - Facundo Bacardí, Cuban rum manufacturer (b. 1814)
- May 15 - Emily Dickinson, American poet (b. 1830)
- May 17 - John Deere, inventor (b. 1804)
- June 13 - King Ludwig II of Bavaria (b. 1845)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 1 - Otto Wilhelm Hermann von Abich, German geologist (b. 1806)
- July 31 - Franz Liszt, Hungarian pianist and composer (b. 1811)
- August 9 - Samuel Ferguson, Northern Irish poet and artist (b. 1810)
- August 11 - Lydia Koidula, Estonian poet (b. 1843)
- August 16 - Ramakrishna Paramhansa, Indian spiritual figure (b. 1836)
- August 30 - Ferris Jacobs, American politician (b. 1836)
- September 3 - William W. Snow, American politician (b. 1812)
- September 14 - Gurdon Saltonstall Hubbard, American land speculator (b. 1802)
- October 8 - Austin F. Pike, American politician from New Hampshire (b. 1819)
- November 18 - Chester A. Arthur, 21st President of the United States (b. 1829)
- November 20 - William Bliss Baker, American painter (b. 1859)
- December 8 - William Fraser Tolmie, Scottish-Canadian scientist and politician (b. 1812)
- date unknown - Andrew Nicholl, Northern Irish painter (b. 1804)
People of the year 1886 at Familypedia
177 people were born in 1886
53 children were born to the 72 women born in 1886
130 people died in 1886
11330 people lived in 1886
Events of the year 1886 at FamilypediaEdit
163 people were married in 1886.
There were 0 military battles in 1886.
- See also 1886 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1886. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|