|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1860s 1870s 1880s - 1890s - 1900s 1910s 1920s
|Years:||1887 1888 1889 - 1890 - 1891 1892 1893|
|1890 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
| Births - Marriages - Deaths
Events of 1890 Edit
January - March Edit
- January 1
- January 2
- January 25
- February 17 - British steamship Duburg wrecked in China Sea: 400 lives lost.
- March 1
- March 4 - The longest bridge in Britain, the Forth Bridge (1,710 ft) in Scotland, is opened.
- March 20 - Wilhelm II of Germany fires Otto von Bismarck.
- March 27 - A tornado strikes Louisville, killing 76 people and injuring 200.
- March 28 - Washington State University is founded in Pullman.
April - June Edit
- May 12 - The first ever official County Championship cricket match begins in Bristol. Yorkshire beats Gloucestershire by eight wickets.
- May 31 - The 5-story skylight Arcade opens in Cleveland.
- June 1 - The United States Census Bureau begins using Herman Hollerith's tabulating machine to count census returns.
- June 12 - In Michigan, the wooden steamer Ryan was lost near Thunder Bay Island.
July - September Edit
- July 1 - Britain receives Zanzibar from Germany in exchange for Heligoland.
- July 2 - The Sherman Anti-Trust Act and Sherman Silver Purchase Act become United States law.
- July 3 - Idaho is admitted as the 43rd U.S. State.
- July 10 - Wyoming is admitted as the 44th U.S. State.
- July 27 - Vincent van Gogh shoots himself in the stomach and dies two days later.
- July - Politics of Japan - first general election for the House of Representatives of Japan.
- August 6 - At Auburn Prison in New York, William Kemmler becomes the first prisoner to be executed in the electric chair.
- September 19 - Turkish frigate Ertogrul foundered off Japan: 540 lives lost.
October - December Edit
- October 8 - First flight of Clement Ader's airplane "Eole" In Satory, France. In Greek mythology, Aeolus is the god of the winds.
- October 11 - In Washington, the Daughters of the American Revolution is founded.
- October 13
- November 23 - King William III of the Netherlands dies without a male heir, and his daughter Princess Wilhelmina becomes Queen, causing Luxembourg (who required a male heir) to declare independence.
- November 29
- November - Scotland Yard, headquarters of the Metropolitan Police Service, moves to a building on London's Victoria Embankment, as the New Scotland Yard.
- December 27 - British steamship Shanghai burned in China Sea: 101 lives lost.
- December 29 - Battle at Wounded Knee: the US 7th Cavalry Regiment tries to disarm camp & shooting starts: 153 Lakota Sioux and 25 troops are killed; about 150 flee the scene (see Wounded Knee Massacre).
- The corrugated cardboard box is invented by Robert Gair, a Brooklyn printer who developed production of paper-board boxes in 1879.
- U.S. Census - Herman Hollerith devises a method using punch cards (like Jacquard's loom) to tabulate census data by machine. (see also History of computing hardware). Hollerith's company eventually becomes IBM.
- Prosecution of Edward King, Anglican bishop of Lincoln for using ritualistic practices ends.
- The United States city of Boise drills the first geothermal well.
- Brown Trout introduced into the upper Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park
|Gregorian calendar|| 1890 |
|Ab urbe condita||2643|
|Armenian calendar|| 1339 |
|Bahá'í calendar||46 – 47|
|Coptic calendar||1606 – 1607|
|Ethiopian calendar||1882 – 1883|
|Hebrew calendar||5650 – 5651|
|- Vikram Samvat||1945 – 1946|
|- Shaka Samvat||1812 – 1813|
|- Kali Yuga||4991 – 4992|
|Iranian calendar||1268 – 1269|
|Islamic calendar||1307 – 1308|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiji
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 2550|
|Thai solar calendar||2433|
January - JuneEdit
- January 1 - Anton Melik, Slovenian geographer (d. 1966)
- January 4 - Victor Lustig, Bohemian-born con artist (d. 1947)
- January 9
- January 19 - Élise Rivet, French Roman Catholic nun and war heroine (d. 1945)
- January 22 - Fred M. Vinson, Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1953)
- January 28 - Robert Stroud, Studied birds while serving time in prison (d. 1963)
- February 10 - Boris Pasternak, Russian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (declined) (died 1960)
- February 14 - Nina Hamnett, Welsh artist (died 1956)
- February 17 - Ronald Fisher, English biologist (died 1962)
- February 18 - Adolphe Menjou, American actor (died 1963)
- February 24 - Marjorie Main, American actress (died 1975)
- February 25 - Dame Myra Hess, English pianist (died 1965)
- February 27 - Freddie Keppard, American jazz musician (died 1933)
- March 3 - Norman Bethune, Canadian doctor and humanitarian (died 1939)
- March 9 - (new style) Vyacheslav Molotov, Soviet politician (died 1986)
- March 11 - Vannevar Bush, American engineer, inventor, and politician (died 1974)
- March 20
- March 28 - Paul Whiteman, American bandleader (died 1967)
- March 31 - William Lawrence Bragg, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (died 1971)
- April 6 - Anthony Fokker, Dutch aircraft manufacturer (died 1939)
- April 7 - Marjory Stoneman Douglas, American conservationist and writer (died 1998)
- April 11 - Donna Rachele Mussolini, Italian, wife of Benito Mussolini (died 1979)
- April 16 - Fred Root, English cricketer (d. 1954)
- April 20 - Maurice Duplessis, premier of Québec, known as "Le Chef" (d. 1959)
- May 4 - Franklin Carmichael, Canadian artist (died 1945)
- May 10 - Alfred Jodl, German general (died 1946)
- May 11 - Woodall Rodgers, mayor of Dallas (died 1961)
- May 15 - Katherine Anne Porter, American author (died 1980)
- May 19 - Ho Chi Minh, Prime minister/president of North Vietnam (died 1969)
- May 23 - Herbert Marshall, English actor (died 1966)
- June 6 - Ted Lewis, American jazz musician and entertainer (died 1971)
- June 16 - Stan Laurel, British actor (died 1965)
- June 26 - Jeanne Eagels, American actress (died 1929)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 18 - Frank Forde, Australian Prime Minister (died 1983)
- July 22 - Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, American philanthropist and matriarch of the Kennedy family (died 1995)
- August 4 - Erich Weinert, German writer, Communist, and member of the KPD. (died 1953)
- August 5 - Erich Kleiber, Austrian conductor (died 1956)
- August 15 - Jacques Ibert, French composer (died 1962)
- August 15 - Elizabeth Bolden, formerly world's oldest living person (died 2006)
- August 18 - Walther Funk, German Nazi politician (died 1960)
- August 20 - Howard Phillips Lovecraft, American writer (died 1937)
- August 24 - Duke Kahanamoku, American swimmer (died 1968)
- September 10 - Elsa Schiaparelli, French couturiere (died 1973)
- September 15 - Agatha Christie, English writer (died 1976)
- September 15 - Frank Martin, Swiss composer (died 1974)
- September 20 - Jelly Roll Morton, American jazz pianist, composer, and bandleader (died 1941)
- October 2 - Groucho Marx, American comedian (died 1977)
- October 8 - Eddie Rickenbacker, American WWI fighter pilot (died 1973)
- October 13 - Conrad Richter, American novelist and short story writer (d. 1968)
- October 14 - Dwight David Eisenhower, U.S. general and President of the United States (died 1969)
- October 16 - Michael Collins, Irish patriot (died 1922)
- October 16 - Paul Strand, American photographer (died 1976)
- October 17 - Roy Kilner, English cricketer (died 1928)
- November 20 - Leon Cadore, American baseball pitcher (died 1968)
- November 22 - Charles de Gaulle, President of France (died 1970)
- November 23 - El Lissitzky, Russian artist and architect (died 1941)
- December 5 - David Bomberg, English painter (died 1957)
- December 8 - Bohuslav Martinů, Czech composer (died 1959)
- December 11 - Carlos Gardel, Argentine tango singer (died 1935)
- December 20 - Jaroslav Heyrovský, Czech chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (died 1967)
- December 21 - Hermann Joseph Muller, American geneticist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (died 1967)
- December 26 - Uncle Charlie Osborne, Appalachian fiddler (died 1992)
- December 30 - Lanoe Hawker, British fighter pilot (died 1916)
- date unknown
- See also 1890 births.
January - JuneEdit
- January 18 - King Amadeus I of Spain (born 1845)
- February 22
- March 3 - Innocenzo da Berzo, Capuchin friar (born 1844)
- March 7 - Karl Rudolf Friedenthal, Prussian statesman (born 1827)
- March 9 - Sir Mangaldas Nathubhoy, politician (born 1832)
- April 1 - David Wilber, American politician (born 1820)
- April 11 - Joseph Carey Merrick (Elephant Man), English oddity (born 1862)
- June 24 - Subba Row, Theosophist (born 1856)
- June 30 - Samuel Parkman Tuckerman, American composer (born 1819)
July - DecemberEdit
- July 9 - Clinton B. Fisk, American philanthropist and temperance activist (born 1828)
- July 15 - Gottfried Keller, Swiss writer (born 1819)
- July 29 - Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter (born 1853)
- August 11 - John Henry Newman, English Roman Catholic Cardinal (born 1801)
- October 4 - Catherine Booth, the Mother of The Salvation Army (born 1829)
- October 26 - Carlo Collodi, Italian writer (born 1826)
- November 3 - Ulrich Ochsenbein, member of the Swiss Federal Council (born 1811)
- November 8 - César Franck, Belgian composer and organist (born 1822)
- November 11 - Charles-Marie David de Mayréna, king of Sedang
- November 23 - King William III of the Netherlands (born 1817)
- November 24 - August Belmont, Prussian-born financier (born 1816)
- December 15 - Sitting Bull, Native American chief, (born c. 1831)
- December 21 - Johanne Luise Heiberg, Danish actress (born 1812)
- December 26 - Heinrich Schliemann, German archaeologist (born 1822)
- date unknown - Comanche, the horse that was the sole survivor of Custer's cavalry at the Battle of Little Bighorn.
People of the year 1890 at Familypedia
225 people were born in 1890
56 children were born to the 90 women born in 1890
182 people died in 1890
14102 people lived in 1890
Events of the year 1890 at FamilypediaEdit
187 people were married in 1890.
There were 0 military battles in 1890.
- See also 1890 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1890. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|