|Millennia:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||6th century BC - 5th century BC - 4th century BC|
|Decades:||470s BC 460s BC 450s BC - 440s BC - 430s BC 420s BC 410s BC|
|Years:|| 449 BC 448 BC 447 BC 446 BC 445 BC|
444 BC 443 BC 442 BC 441 BC 440 BC
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - State leaders - Sovereign states|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and trendsEdit
- 449 BC — Construction begins on the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens.
- 449 BC — The Twelve Tables are promulgated to the people of Rome — the first public laws of the Roman Republic.
- 449 BC — Romans revolt against the decemvirate. The decemvirs resign and the tribunate is re-established.
- 449 BC — Herodotus completes his History, which records the events concerning the Persian War.
- 448 BC — The Peace of Callias between the Delian League and Persia ends the Persian Wars.
- 448 BC — Phidias finishes a 9 meter high statue of Athena on the Acropolis.
- 447 BC — Athens begins construction of the Parthenon, at the initiative of Pericles.
- 447 BC — Battle of Coronea — The Athenians are driven out of Boeotia.
- 447 BC — Achaeus of Eretria, a Greek playwright, shows his first play.
- 445 BC — Pericles declares Thirty Years Peace between Athens and Sparta.
- 445 BC — Artaxerxes I gives Nehemiah permission to rebuild Jerusalem.
- 445 BC — The Lacus Curtius is created by a lightning strike in Rome. It is consecrated by Gaius, Mettius or Marcus Curtius.
- 443 BC — The Roman Republic creates the office of censor, initially exclusive to patricians.
- 443 BC — Foundation of the Greek colony of Thurii in Italy. Its colonists include Herodotus and Lysias.
- 442 BC — Sophocles writes Antigone.
- 441 BC — Zhou ai wang becomes King of the Zhou Dynasty of China but dies before the year's end, to be succeeded by Zhou si wang.
- 441 BC — Zhou si wang becomes King of the Zhou Dynasty of China but dies before the year's end.
- 440 BC — Famine in Rome.
- 440 BC — Zhou kao wang becomes King of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- 440 BC — Meron determines the two points of the solstice.
- 440 BC — Democritus proposes the existence of indivisible particles, which he calls atoms.
- c. 446 BC — Aristophanes, Greek playwright
- 446 BC — Marcus Furius Camillus, Roman soldier and statesman (traditional date)
- 449 BC — Appius Claudius, former decemvir, suicide
- 449 BC — Spurius Oppius, former decemvir, suicide
- 443 BC — Pindar, Greek poet
- 442 BC — Zhou zhen ding wang, King of the Zhou Dynasty of China
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 440s BC. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|