|Millennia:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||6th century BC - 5th century BC - 4th century BC|
|Decades:||490s BC 480s BC 470s BC - 460s BC - 450s BC 440s BC 430s BC|
|Years:|| 469 BC 468 BC 467 BC 466 BC 465 BC|
464 BC 463 BC 462 BC 461 BC 460 BC
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - State leaders - Sovereign states|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and trendsEdit
- 468 BC — Sophocles, Greek playwright, defeats Aeschylus for the Athenian Prize.
- 468 BC — Antium captured by Roman forces.
- 468 BC Zhou Zhen Ding Wang becomes King of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- 466 BC Delian League defeats Persia at the Battle of Eurymedon.
- 466 BC — The Greek colony of Taras, in Magna Graecia, is defeated by Iapyges, a native population of ancient Apulia; Tarentine monarchy falls, with the installation of a democracy and the expulsion of the Pythagoreans.
- 465 BC — King Xerxes I of the Persian Empire is murdered by Artabanus the Hyrcanian. He is succeeded by Artaxerxes I, possibly with Artabanus acting as Regent.
- 465 BC — Thasos revolts from the Delian League.
- 464 BC — An earthquake in ancient Sparta, Greece leads to a Helot uprising and strained relations with Athens, one of the factors that lead to the Peloponnesian War.
- 464 BC — Regent King Artabanus of Persia is killed by his charge Artaxerxes I.
- 464 BC — Third Messenian war.
- 462 BC — The revolt of Thasos against the Delian League comes to an end with their surrender.
- 461 BC — Athenian politician Cimon is ostracized.
- 460 BC — Egypt revolts against Persia, starting a six year war. An Athenian force sent to attack Cyprus is diverted to support this revolt.
- 460 BC — Cincinnatus becomes consul of the Roman Republic.
- c. 469 BC — Aspasia of Miletus, mistress of Pericles of Athens (d. c. 406 BC)
- 460 BC — Democritus of Abdera, Greek philosopher (d. 370 BC)
- 460 BC — Hippocrates of Cos, Greek physician (d. 377 BC)
- 460 BC — Thucydides, Greek historian (d. 395 BC)
- 469 BC — Zhou Yuan Wang/Ji Ren, King of the Zhou Dynasty of China
- 469 BC — Leotychides, king of Sparta
- 469 BC — Simonides of Ceos, Greek lyric poet
- 468 BC — Aristides, Athenian statesman
- 465 Xerxes I, king of Persia (murdered)
- 464 BC — Artabanus of Persia, Regent King for Artaxerxes I
- 461 BC — Ephialtes, leader of the radical democrats, assassinated
- 460 BC — Epicharmus, Greek poet (b. 550 BC)
- 460 BC — Panini, Hindu Indian grammarian (b. 520 BC)
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 460s BC. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|