Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Millennia:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||7th century BC - 6th century BC - 5th century BC|
|Decades:||530s BC 520s BC 510s BC - 500s BC - 490s BC 480s BC 470s BC|
|Years:|| 509 BC 508 BC 507 BC 506 BC 505 BC|
504 BC 503 BC 502 BC 501 BC 500 BC
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - State leaders - Sovereign states|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and trendsEdit
- September 13, 509 BC — The temple of Jupiter on Rome's Capitoline Hill is dedicated on the ides of September.
- 509 BC–27 BC — Republican period in Rome.
- 508 BC — Office of pontifex maximus created in Rome.
- 508 BC — Cleisthenes reorganizes Athens. He creates the deme, a local unit to serve as the basis of his political system. Citizenship is tightly linked to the deme, for each deme keeps the roll of those within its jurisdiction, who are admitted to citizenship. He groups all the demes into 10 tribes, which thus form the link between the demes and the central government. The central government includes an assembly of all citizens and a new council of 500 members.
- 507 BC — Cleisthenes, Greek reformer, takes power and increases democracy.
- 506 BC — Battle of Boju: The forces of the State of Wu under commander and strategist Sun Tzu defeat the forces of Chu in Zhou Dynasty China, destroying the Chu capital of Ying and causing King Jing of Zhou to flee.
- 505 BC — First pair of Roman consuls elected.
- December 4, 502 BC — Solar eclipse darkens Egypt. (computed by modern astronomers, no clear historical record of observation exists)
- 502 BC — The Latin League defeats the Etruscans under Lars Porsena at Aricia.
- 502 BC — Naxos rebels against Persian domination sparking the Ionian Revolt.
- 501 BC — Cleisthenes reforms democracy in Athens.
- 501 BC — Naxos is attacked by the Persian Empire.
- 501 BC — In response to threats by the Sabines, Rome creates the office of dictator.
- 501 BC — Confucius is appointed governor of Chung-tu.
- 501 BC — Gadir (present-day Cádiz) is captured by Carthage. (approximate date)
- 500 BC — Bantu-speaking people migrate into south-west Uganda from the west. (approximate date)
- 500 BC — Refugees from Teos resettle Abdera.
- 500 BC — Darius I of Persia proclaims that Aramaic be the official language of the western half of his empire.
- 500 BC — Signifies the end of the Nordic Bronze Age civilization in Oscar Montelius periodization system and begins the Pre-Roman Iron Age.
- 500 BC — Foundation of first republic in Vaishali Bihar India.
- 500 BC — World population: 100,000,000
- c. 500 BC — Vulca makes Apollo of Veii. It is now at Museo Nazionale di Villa Giulia, Rome.
- The Gutaii tribe began around this time, in Middle and Southern Africa.
- ^ an average of figures from different sources as listed at the US Census Bureau's Historical Estimates of World Population
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 500s BC. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|