|Centuries:||5th century · 6th century · 7th century|
|Decades:||510s 520s 530s 540s 550s 560s 570s|
|Years:||537 538 539 540 541 542 543|
|Gregorian calendar|| 540 |
|Ab urbe condita||1293|
|Bahá'í calendar||-1304 – -1303|
|Coptic calendar||256 – 257|
|Ethiopian calendar||532 – 533|
|Hebrew calendar||4300 – 4301|
|- Vikram Samvat||595 – 596|
|- Shaka Samvat||462 – 463|
|- Kali Yuga||3641 – 3642|
|Iranian calendar||82 BP – 81 BP|
|Islamic calendar||85 BH – 84 BH|
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 1200|
|Thai solar calendar||1083|
- General Belisarius conquers Milan and the Ostrogothic capital Ravenna.
- The Sassanids attack Daraa and capture Antioch.
- The Huns and Bulgars raid Greece.
- Ostrogoth king Witiges is succeeded by Ildibad.
- High King Custennin ap Cado of Britain is deposed and returns to Dumnonia.
- Pope Vigilius rejects Monophysitism in letters to Emperor Justinian I and Patriarch Mennas of Constantinople.
- The former Roman senator Cassiodorus establishes a monastery, the Vivarium, on his estate in Italy. He enlists highly educated and sophisticated men to copy both sacred and secular manuscripts, intending this to be their sole occupation (approximate date).
- Benedict of Nursia writes his monastic laws.
- Pope Gregory I (approximate date)
- Galswintha, wife of Chilperic I
- Myrddin Wyllt, later wild man of the woods and possible source for Merlin (approximate date)
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 540. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 540 at Familypedia
2 people were born in 540
|Father||Mother||Age mother at birth|
|Grasulf I of Friuli (540-?)|
|Cutha of Wessex (c540-584)||Cynric of Wessex (-560)|
0 children were born to the 0 women born in 540
0 people died in 540
9 people lived in 540
Events of the year 540 at FamilypediaEdit
0 people were married in 540.
There were 0 military battles in 540.