|Centuries:||5th century - 6th century - 7th century|
|Decades:||510s 520s 530s - 540s - 550s 560s 570s|
|Years:|| 540 541 542 543 544|
545 546 547 548 549
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - Architecture|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and TrendsEdit
- The Eastern Roman Empire conquers Milan and the Ostrogothic capital of Ravenna in 540. Over the course of the decade, the Ostrogoth king, Totila, responds by conquering Naples, Benevento, Rome, and other parts of Italy.
- Schism between the Syrian Orthodox Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church over the doctrine of Monophysitism. In 540, the Pope of Rome writes a critique of Monophystism. In 544, Jacob Baradaeus, the Bishop of Edessa, consecrates Sergius of Tella as Patriarch of Antioch, effecting a permanent schism.
- Ara Gaya gained the leadership of Gaya Confederacy in Korean peninsula.
- 540 — Death of King Arthur and his son Mordred according to the Annales Cambriae.
- 541 — The Uyghurs come under the rule of the Hephthalites.
- 548 — Goguryeo invades Baekje, at the request of Ara Gaya.
- 549 — Emperor Jinwen succeeds Emperor Wu as ruler of the Liang Dynasty in China.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 540s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|