|Millennia:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||7th century BC - 6th century BC - 5th century BC|
|Decades:||570s BC 560s BC 550s BC - 540s BC - 530s BC 520s BC 510s BC|
|Years:|| 549 BC 548 BC 547 BC 546 BC 545 BC|
544 BC 543 BC 542 BC 541 BC 540 BC
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - State leaders - Sovereign states|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and trendsEdit
- 546 BC — Croesus, Lydian king, is defeated by Cyrus of Persia near the River Halys.
- 546 BC — Cyrus of Persia completes his conquest of Lydia, and makes Pasargadae his capital.
- 546 BC — Cyrus the Great establishes a garrison in Sardis and incorporates the Greek cities of Ionia in Asia Minor into Persian Empire. Thus he gains the important ports that look out to the Mediterranean world.
- 544 BC — People of Teos migrate to Abdera to escape the yoke of Persia.
- 544 BC — Zhou Jing Wang becomes King of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- 543 BC — North Indian Prince Vijaya invades Ceylon and establishes a Sri Lankan dynasty.
- 543 BC — Pisistratus, tyrant of Athens, purifies the island of Delos (approximate date).
- c. 543 BC — Buddha dies
- 540 BC — Cyrus the Great attacked Babylonia.
- 540 BC — Greek city of Elea of southern Italy founded (approximate date).
- 540 BC — Persians conquer Lycian city of Xanthos now in southern Turkey (approximate date).
- c. 540 BC — Amasis Painter makes Dionysos with maenads, black-figure decoration on an amphora. It is now at Bibliotheque Nationale de France, Paris.
- c. 540 BC — Exekias makes The suicide of Ajax, black-figure decoration on a amphora. It is now at Chateau-Musee, Boulogne-sur-Mer, France.
- 549 BC — Birth of Darius I
- 547 BC — Death of Croesus
- 546 BC — Death of Anaximander, Greek philosopher (approximate date)
- 545 BC — Death of Zhou ling wang, King of the Zhou Dynasty of China
- 544 BC — Birth of Sun Tzu
- 543 BC — Death of Gautama Buddha (traditional in Thailand and elsewhere — basis of the Thai solar calendar)
- 543 BC — Death of Thales, Greek philosopher
- 540 BC — Amyntas I becomes king of Macedonia (approximate date)
- Amasis Painter, Greek painter
- Exekias, Greek painter
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 540s BC. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|