|Centuries:||5th century - 6th century - 7th century|
|Decades:||550s 560s 570s - 580s - 590s 600s 610s|
|Years:|| 580 581 582 583 584|
585 586 587 588 589
|Categories:|| Births - Deaths - Architecture|
Establishments - Disestablishments
Events and TrendsEdit
- The Sui Dynasty unites China for the first time since the fall of the Western Jin Dynasty in 311. Sui is founded in Emperor Wen in 581. In 589, he completes the conquest of the country.
- Rome — Pope Pelagius II commissions the building of the Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura, a basilica church shrine over the place where Saint Lawrence was martyred.
- Slavic invasions and settlement of Greece.
- 580 — The Roman Senate sends an embassy to Constantinople; this is its last recorded act.
- 584 — The Visigoths conquer the Suevic kingdom in Spain.
- 585 — Famine in Gaul.
- 587 — First use of the filioque clause in the Nicene Creed, used against the Arians in Spain. This would later become a factor in the schism between the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church.
- 588 — Shivadeva ascends throne of Lichchhavi dynasty in Nepal.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 580s. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|