|Centuries:||7th century - 8th century - 9th century|
|Decades:|| 710s 720s 730s - 740s - 750s 760s 770s
|Years:||737 738 739 - 740 - 741 742 743|
|740 by topic|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Gregorian calendar|| 740 |
|Ab urbe condita||1493|
|Armenian calendar|| 189 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-1104 – -1103|
|Coptic calendar||456 – 457|
|Ethiopian calendar||732 – 733|
|Hebrew calendar||4500 – 4501|
|- Vikram Samvat||795 – 796|
|- Shaka Samvat||662 – 663|
|- Kali Yuga||3841 – 3842|
|Iranian calendar||118 – 119|
|Islamic calendar||122 – 123|
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 1400|
|Thai solar calendar||1283|
- October 26 — An earthquake strikes Constantinople and the surrounding countryside, causing destruction to the city's land walls and buildings, and many deaths.
- End of the reign of king Sevar and thus of the House of Dulo in Bulgaria.
- Pippin III marries Bertrada of Laon.
- September — The Daysan River floods Edessa.
- Much to the delight of the citizens of Chang'an City, the Chinese Tang Dynasty government made an order for fruit trees to be planted along every main avenue of the city, which enriched not only diets of the people but also the surroundings.
- The Khazars, a nation of the Black Sea steppe, though not ethnically Jewish, voluntarily convert to Judaism.
- St. Cuthbert becomes archbishop of Canterbury.
- Saint Æthelwald, Bishop of Lindisfarne
- Zhang Jiuling, poet, scholar, and ex-Chancellor of Tang China (b. 678)
- Zayd ibn Ali, Fifth Zaidi Shia Imam, killed in a Shi'ite revolt in Kufa
- Wu Daozi, Chinese painter (born 680)
- Meng Haoran, Chinese poet (born 689)
- Intel 740, video graphics chipset.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 740. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 740 at Familypedia
2 people were born in 740
|Father||Mother||Age mother at birth|
|Luitfrid II of Alsace (740-780)||Luitfrid I of Alsace (707-750)||Edith (719-?)|
|Turincbertus of Worms (740-777)||Robert I of Worms (710-c757)||Williswint (719-?)|
0 children were born to the 0 women born in 740
0 people died in 740
16 people lived in 740
Events of the year 740 at FamilypediaEdit
0 people were married in 740.
There were 0 military battles in 740.