|Centuries:||8th century - 9th century - 10th century|
|Decades:|| 840s 850s 860s - 870s - 880s 890s 900s
|Years:||875 876 877 - 878 - 879 880 881|
|Gregorian calendar|| 878 |
|Ab urbe condita||1631|
|Armenian calendar|| 327 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-966 – -965|
|Coptic calendar||594 – 595|
|Ethiopian calendar||870 – 871|
|Hebrew calendar||4638 – 4639|
|- Vikram Samvat||933 – 934|
|- Shaka Samvat||800 – 801|
|- Kali Yuga||3979 – 3980|
|Iranian calendar||256 – 257|
|Islamic calendar||264 – 265|
|- Imperial Year|| Kōki 1538|
|Thai solar calendar||1421|
- May 21 — After a siege of 8 months, Syracuse is captured by the Muslims of Sicily.
- The Danes force king Alfred the Great of Wessex to retreat to a fort in Athelney, Somerset. Later, in the Battle of Ethandun (Edington), King Alfred the Great of Wessex defeats the Danes of the Danelaw under Guthrum. The Treaty of Wedmore divides England between the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes.
- Rhodri, the first King of Wales to be known as "the Great", is killed in battle.
- After a siege, the Aghlabids of Ifriqiya conquer Syracuse, starting 2 centuries of Muslim rule.
- First mentioning of Belgrade.
- Eochu MacRunn and Girig MacDungal jointly succeed Aed I of Scotland.
- Aedh MacRunn, King of the Scots and Picts
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 878. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 878 at Familypedia
3 people were born in 878
|Father||Mother||Age mother at birth|
|Hildegard (878-895)||Louis the Younger (830-882)||Luitgard von Sachsen (c845-885)|
|Igor of Kiev (c878-945)||Rurik (c832-879)||Efanda of Urman|
|Sunifred of Urgel (878-948)||Wilfred I of Urgel (c840-897)||Gunhilda of Flanders (c865-?)|
0 children were born to the 1 women born in 878
2 people died in 878
|Father||Mother||Age at death|
|Unknown de Nantes (829-878)||Lambert II de Nantes (-852)||Theodrade of Italy (?-?)||49|
|Herbouin de Ponthieu (c830-c878)||Helgaud II de Ponthieu (c805-863)||Berthe de Ponthieu (c805-859)||48|
95 people lived in 878
Events of the year 878 at FamilypediaEdit
0 people were married in 878.
There were 0 military battles in 878.