Albert "Al" Kolstee was born on May 6, 1879 in Clymer, New York, the 12th child and youngest son of Jan Willem te Kolstee and Johanna Geertruida Theodora Hesselink. He grew up on his father's farm on Pork Road in Clymer. His father died in 1895, when he was 16. Over the following decade, he and his younger sisters, Laura and Adeline, took care of their mother. Adeline moved out when she married in the late 1890s, so by 1900, he was living with his mother and sister Laura. In 1907, Laura married Charles Simmelink. Ward Briggs, husband of Albert's sister Jennie, had died in 1905. Afterward, Jennie continued to live with Albert. In 1910, Albert sold the farm to Garrett Gabriel. By 1910, Albert was a dairy farmer, owning a home, and his widowed sister Jennie Briggs lived him. Sometime in the 1910s, Albert began operating the Clymer Feed Mill, working as a miller and by 1920, he was living on Clymer Hill Road in Sherman. At this time, he was living with his sister Jennie and her second husband. He is recorded as having attended a couple of conventions in regards to feed mills in the late 1910s. He continued living with Jennie and Garrett until sometime after his sister committed suicide.
On April 14, 1926, Albert married Louise Barbara Trump, daughter of Johann Leonhard Trump and Barbara Pfiffier. The wedding took place in Westfield, New York. Their first son, Charles, was born in 1927. They lived in a home they owned on East Main Street in Clymer, valued at $6,000. On May 14, 1937, Albert awoke in the middle of the night when his daughter was crying. He went to the kitchen to heat some milk for her. He used kerosene to start the fire, there was an explosion and his body was found severely burned. He was buried in Holland Cemetery in Clymer, New York.
|Offspring of Albert Kolstee and Louise Barbara Trump (1900-1985)|
|Charles Albert Kolstee (1927-2000)||20 November 1927 Clymer, Chautauqua County, New York, United States||26 April 2000 Panama, Chautauqua County, New York, United States|| |
|Howard William Kolstee (1931-1988)||25 March 1931 Clymer, Chautauqua County, New York, United States||2 March 1988 Sacramento, Sacramento County, California, United States|| Stella Lillian Fricker (1927-1988)|
- 1880 United States Federal Census, Clymer, Chautauqua County, New York.
- 1892 New York State Census, Clymer, Chautauqua County
- 1900 United States Federal Census, Clymer, Chautauqua County, New York.
- 1910 United States Federal Census, Clymer, Chautauqua County, New York.
- 1920 United States Federal Census, Sherman, Chautauqua County, New York.
- 1930 United States Federal Census, Clymer, Chautauqua County, New York.
- World War I Draft Registration Card, 1918
- Obituary of son, Charles A. Kolstee, August 2000
- Citizen-Advertiser, Corry, Pennsylvania, May 14, 1937
- Cemetery Records, Holland Cemetery of Chautauqua County, New York