Vital Statistics Edit
- Daughter of John Henderson Reid (1815-1862) and Sophronia Prentiss (1817-1846)
- 1840: 22 May - Birth at Woodsville, Adams Co, Illinois
- 1854: 10 March - 1st Marriage to Enos McMurray Huddleston in Scotland County, Missouri
- 1858: 3 October - 2nd Marriage to William Wood Hall (1832-1891), an English immigrant, at Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa
- 1861: 1 June - Left Florence, Nebraska with the David H. Cannon company to travel across the plains to Utah, settled in Southern Idaho.
- 1912: 23 July - Died at Lago, Bannock, Idaho
Life in Iowa Edit
Her son Josey was born in Newton, Iowa, county seat of Jasper Co. (Nowhere near Hillsboro Co.) The town would later become famous as the headquarters of the Maytag Corporation. His mother was only 15 when he was born and she would soon thereafter leave his abusive father. She would later remarry to William Wood Hall who would raise Josey as his own son.
At age five, Josey went west to Utah with William and Almira Hall in the David H Cannon Company of 1861. Departure: 1 June 1861 / Arrival: 11-16 August 1861 / 225 individuals and 57 wagons were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Florence, Nebraska (now Omaha). His mother's journal are part of the historical record for this event.
1861 Wagon Trek to Utah Edit
At age 21, Almira Jane emigrated to Utah/Idaho with her son, Josey Hudleston, a child from her first marriage. Her sister, her non-member husband William Wood Hall (a recent English Emigrant), and a Welsh girl (Mary Davis) were also with Almira. They were part of the 1861 David H Cannon Pioneer Wagon Company. Her diary is a source reference material for that trek.
Life in the Rockies Edit
In 1880 Almira Jane moved the family to Curlew Valley in Snowville Utah, to keep her son Josey from getting married to a woman she considered undesirable (due to her own experience with a bad marriage / per the journal of her daughter Sophronia.)
|Offspring of Almira Jane Reid and Enos McMurray Huddleston (c1832-)|
|Josephus Sidney Alford Huddleston (1855-1934)||14 November 1855 Newton, Jasper County, Iowa||25 February 1934 Price, Carbon County, Utah|
Children of Almira Jane and Enos Huddleston Edit
- Josephus (Josey) Sidney Alford Huddleston (1855-1934) - died in Payson, Utah, never married, no posterity.
Children of Almira Jane and William Wood Hall Edit
- Sophronia Almira Hall (1865-1921) - 2nd wife to Hyrum Edwards (son of Patriarch Charles Edwards, a Mormon immigrant convert from Derbyshire England - see page 544, The Millenial Star, Liverpool), and married twice to John Phillips
- Cumorah Angus Hall (1867-1918) - m. Elna Christensen
- William Tracy Hall (1869-1901) - m. Susan Edwards, daughter of Hyrum Edwards above and his first wife (Elizabeth Coltrin) and also granddaughter to Zebedee Coltrin.
- Ether Mahonri Hall (1872-1893) - died at age 21 in Salt Lake City.
- Alphonso Prentiss Hall (1874-1913)
- Septema Ann Hall (1877-1877) - Born and died on 14-Sept-1877 at Uintah, Weber Co, Utah
- John Wood Hall (1880-1907) - m. Susan Edwards also, died at age 24 in drowning accident in Taber, Alberta
- Hall Prentiss Ancestry -
- Warenne Family Ancestry - ( AJReid, SPrentiss, PWarren, MWarrenII, MWarrenI, DWarren, JWarren, DWarren, John Warren 1585) - Early English Immigrant to America. Descendant of early English/French Royalty and the Earls of Warenne. Priscilla Warren (1792-1847) - Maternal Grandmother to Almira Jane Reid and direct descendant of the Warenne Family (Moses Warren II) lineage that goes back to early English royalty and Viking Norsemen.
- Rebecca Towne Nurse (1621-1692) - ( AJReid, SPrentiss, PWarren, PNurse, DNurse, WNurse, BNurse, RTNurse) - She was executed for witchcraft in the Salem witch trials. Ancestor of Priscilla Warren.
- Abraham Morrison - Great, Great Grandfather and family fought in civil wars in Northern Ireland over religion.
Research Notes Edit
The following family links are incomplete:
- (MIA) Alphonso Tracy Hall (1900-) - child disappears after 1906 census. Grandson.
- (MIA) Sylvia Jane Rackard (1874-1891) - First wife of Cumorah. Cannot find record of parents. The dates for her birth at Camp Floyd (1874) don't match up to local history.
- GGGGF (MIA): William Hall (1790-1841) - (Father-In-Law) Farmer at Hopes Rough, Herefordshire. Research Challenge
- (WOH) Build FPC for family of Henry Hall - Waiting for access to 1841 English Census
- (WOH) Build FPC for family of James Hall (brother-in-law) - waiting for access to 1841 English Census
- (WOH) Build FPC for family of Hannah Hall (sister-in-law) - waiting for access to 1841 English Census
- LucasCountyan Blog - Story of Almira and her family in Iowa.
- Gravesite of A.J. Reid - Lago Cemetery Idaho - FindAGrave.
- Pioneer Biography of A.J. Reid - Digital Library Copy of her life story.
- LDS Pioneer Company History - 1861 David H Cannon Wagon Company.
1870 US Census Edit
Taken in the community of East Weber, Weber Co, Utah - 03-July-1870.
- William Hall (M-38) Ocp: Farmer / born in England
- A Jane Hall (F-30) - born in Illinois
- Joseph S A Hall (M-14) - born in Iowa
- Sophronia Hall (F-5) - born in Utah
- C M A Hall (M-3) (Cumorah Angus) - born in Utah
- William Hall (M-5mo) - born in Utah
- Amelia Savage (F-18) - daughter of English family living next door, probably helping with the children
- John Stifle (M-28) - ocp: Railroad Hand
1880 US Census Edit
Taken at Carlew Valley, Oneida Co, Idaho.
- William Hall (M-48 / Father)
- Almira Hall (F-40 / Mother)
- Sophronia Hall (F-15)
- Lumorah Hall (M-13)
- William F. Hall (M-10)
- Ether Hall (M-8)
- Alphonzo Hall (M-5)
- A. R. Prentiss (M-55) - Almira's Uncle - Alonzo Robert Prentiss (1825-1893)
1900 US Census Edit
Taken at Carlew Precinct, Oneida County, Idaho - 26-Jun-1900
- Almira Hall (F-60) Head of Household / b May-1840
- John W Hall (M-18) son / b Aug-1881 / Ocp: Farmer