|Atchison County, Kansas|
Atchison County Courthouse in Atchison
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||August 25, 1855|
|Named for||David Rice Atchison|
435.04 sq mi (1,127 km²)
432.34 sq mi (1,120 km²)
2.70 sq mi (7 km²), 0.62%
38.8/sq mi (15.0/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Atchison County (county code AT) is a county located in Northeast Kansas, in the Central United States. As of the 2010 census, the county population was 16,924. Its county seat and most populous city is Atchison. The county is named in honor of David Rice Atchison, a United States Senator from Missouri. The Atchison Micropolitan Statistical Area includes all of Atchison County.
Law and governmentEdit
Atchison County was a prohibition, or "dry", county until the Kansas Constitution was amended in 1986 and voters approved the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with a 30% food sales requirement.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 435.04 square miles (1,126.7 km2), of which 432.34 square miles (1,119.8 km2) (or 99.38%) is land and 2.70 square miles (7.0 km2) (or 0.62%) is water.
- Doniphan County (north)
- Buchanan County, Missouri (northeast)
- Leavenworth County (southeast)
- Platte County, Missouri (east)
- Jefferson County (south)
- Jackson County (west)
- Brown County (northwest)
As of the U.S. Census in 2000, there were 16,774 people, 6,275 households, and 4,279 families residing in the county. The population density was 39 people per square mile (15/km²). There were 6,818 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.62% White, 5.32% Black or African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 1.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.95% of the population.
There were 6,275 households out of which 32.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.30% were married couples living together, 10.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.80% were non-families. 27.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.70% under the age of 18, 11.30% from 18 to 24, 24.50% from 25 to 44, 21.40% from 45 to 64, and 16.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 93.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,355, and the median income for a family was $40,614. Males had a median income of $29,481 versus $20,485 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,207. About 7.90% of families and 13.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.80% of those under age 18 and 17.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and townsEdit
Name and population (2006 estimate):
- Good Intent
- Mount Pleasant
- Oak Mills
- Port William
- St. Pats
Atchison County is divided into eight townships. The city of Atchison is considered governmentally independent and is excluded from the census figures for the townships. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
| Land area|
km² (sq mi)
| Water area|
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Benton||06150||Effingham||1,076||7 (18)||156 (60)||0 (0)||0.25%|
|Center||11550||676||5 (13)||139 (54)||0 (0)||0.15%|
|Grasshopper||28225||Muscotah||588||3 (9)||170 (66)||1 (0)||0.52%|
|Kapioma||36100||271||2 (6)||123 (48)||0 (0)||0.05%|
|Lancaster||38350||Lancaster||922||6 (15)||156 (60)||0 (0)||0.28%|
|Mount Pleasant||48925||829||7 (17)||124 (48)||0 (0)||0.09%|
|Shannon||64275||1,753||12 (32)||140 (54)||2 (1)||1.16%|
|Walnut||74800||427||5 (12)||94 (36)||2 (1)||2.34%|
|Sources: "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/places2k.html.|
Unified school districtsEdit
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- List of Kansas county name etymologies
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- ^ "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2004. http://www.ksrevenue.org/abcwetdrymap.htm. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ National Atlas
- ^ U.S. Census Bureau TIGER shape files
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Population Estimates". U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. http://www.census.gov/popest/estimates.php. Annual estimates of the population to 2006-07-01. Released 2007-06-28.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
- Official sites
- Atchison County - Official Website
- Atchison County - Directory of Public Officials
- Atchison County - Chamber of Commerce
- Atchison County - Information, Skyways
- Atchison County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
|Brown County||Doniphan County||Buchanan County, Missouri|
|Jackson County||Platte County, Missouri|
Atchison County, Kansas
|Jefferson County||Leavenworth County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Atchison County, Kansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|