Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Atkinson County, Georgia|
Atkinson County Courthouse in Pearson
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||August 15, 1917|
|Named for||Williams Yates Atkinson|
345 sq mi (894 km²)
339 sq mi (878 km²)
5.2 sq mi (13 km²), 1.5%
25/sq mi (10/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Atkinson County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 8,375. The county seat is Pearson. The county was formed in 1917 from parts of Coffee and Clinch Counties. It is named for William Yates Atkinson, Democratic governor of Georgia from 1894 to 1898.
- Coffee County - north
- Ware County - east
- Clinch County - southeast
- Lanier County - south
- Berrien County - west
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,375 people, 2,983 households, and 2,159 families residing in the county. The population density was 25 people per square mile (9/km²). There were 3,171 housing units at an average density of 9 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 62.2% White, 17.3% Black or African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 17.7% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races. 24.3% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,983 households out of which 41.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.3% were married couples living together, 15.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.6% were non-families. 22.9% of all households were made up of individuals living alone and 8.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.8 and the average family size was 3.29.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,682.
- Guthrie Heights
- Henderson Still
- Sandy Bottom
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13003.html. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ga190090.txt. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Berrien County||Ware County|
Atkinson County, Georgia
|Lanier County||Clinch County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Atkinson County, Georgia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|